Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

hard to start when engine cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
MustangFTW

Default hard to start when engine cold

so ive been drivin my 67 lately and i noticed ITS HARD AS HELL to get it started when the engines cold. i need some suggestions for things i could adjust that would be simple yet effective if they exist.... please be detailed ima noob!

im going to be rebuilding the carb soon so that should help right?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Step 1) Make sure the carb choke is operating properly. If the engine is cold and you step on the gas pedal, the choke plate should close fully. If it doesn't, it needs to be adjusted.

2) Check timing. Improper timing will hinder starting.

3) Check the points adjustment, if applicable. Improper points adjustment will cause poor starting. Consider an electronic ignition upgrade if you're still running points. Cold starting will be drastically improved.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
MustangFTW

Hmmm so how should the choke plate look when the engine is cold and I don't press anything?

Also any one ever have trouble with their car missing the acceleration?
Ex. I'm going 30 I press gas to go faster bit car revs up instead. I have to take foot off gas and repress for it to work.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Before you step on the gas, the choke plate will be open. This is why you need to tap the gas to the 1/2 way point before starting when the car is cold. If it's really cold outside (I see you're in Minnesota), give it a full throttle tap before starting.

Do you have an automatic or a manual transmission?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 AM
MustangFTW

its an automatic. i just adjusted the carb so that the lines are matching up but now the choke is fully closed and opens a bit when i hit the gas should i make it leaner or richer?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you might have an old Ford to me.

When it's cold or if I haven't run my car in a week or ten days it takes a few taps on the gas to get it started.

But after I get it started and warmed up she'll fire right up the next time I start it even if it's a couple of hours later.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:28 PM
MustangFTW

ya it seems i mustve had the fast idle out of whack too so i fixed that. now all thats left is rebuilding since its leaking quite a bit of fuel and im worried the battery might spark and *Boom* bye bye mustang......and me

Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
MustangFTW

just finished rebuilding, partial rebuild really. i opened up the carb and it had new float, float mechanism. so i replaced the bad gaskets and no more dripping, car starts a bit easier too. this morning it was 40ish and it started easily (lets wait for the -10, eh). now i have a different problem, whenever i start car and try to shift into drive or reverse the engine stalls. i have one clue as to why this might be happening. i think its because the idle speed of the car is quite high, if i have the car in drive it will go 20 mph, i thought that it might be too much for a cold engine, anyway to lower this?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

My Holley has an adjustment screw on the left side near the throttle linkage that is used for adjusting the "curb idle" (i.e. how fast it idles just sitting without you pushing the gas).

Might try adjusting that and see if it slows it down some.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

idle speed sounds very high. reduce curb idle. so that the engine revs at about 700rpm in gear.

Quick Reply: hard to start when engine cold