Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Seat / Upholstery Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Seat / Upholstery Question

I have a misc. pointed object in my drivers side seatback. Not sure what it is, but it needs to come out b/f it puts a hole thru the vinyl. I need to take it to someone so I was thinking about just taking the seat out of the car and dropping it off instead of taking the car in and arranging for a ride.

My question is...do I need to take the whole seat out or can I remove just the seat back instead, which seems to be less of a hassle?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Seat / Upholstery Question

If it was me, I'd just take the whole seat out. Just incase there is something wrong with the bottom as well. Might be able to kill two birds with one stone. If anything is wrong with the bottom.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Why not just pop the seat back off and see what the problem is in there? Odds are it's a spring that's come loose or something and you'll be able to bend it or at least pad it (so it doesn't come through the upholstery). Anything with the upholstery is truly a do-it-yourself job. There's honestly nothing complicated about it.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:33 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

"Why not just pop the seat back off and see what the problem is in there? Odds are it's a spring that's come loose or something and you'll be able to bend it or at least pad it (so it doesn't come through the upholstery). Anything with the upholstery is truly a do-it-yourself job. There's honestly nothing complicated about it."

Well, if it's that simple I will give it a shot. Will I need any special tools?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help on this issue. I removed the back panel and found that a broken spring was the culprit. After about 45 min. of knuckle scraping and bleeding (tight spot in upper corner), I managed to bend the spring out of the way and replaced the back panel. Job well done thanks to some encouraging input here.

By the way, I have a tip for putting the back panel on as well as door panels w/those damn clips. Use some Vaseline on the wholes and the clips and they will slide in much easier without much force needed.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:56 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

oops