Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

To use a console or to NOT use a console? What's your opinon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:27 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

My '67 coupe never had a console, I didn't really need it when I was 18.
Lynn
Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions on this subject. Is anyone willing to post some pictures of the custom console they built for their cars?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

There was one custom built console that I saw where a guy took the rear portion of a 06-10 console and then made it to fit a custom forward piece. It looked great.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
This is amazing work. Out of curiousity, I see that there appears to be 2 different colors on the wood. Is one wood then an outer layer of foam? Just curious.

Thanks either way for sharing.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
mickman
1st Gear Member

Skip the console, my two cents. Gimme elbow room ! You can always put in a "humphugger" or similar removable "stash and cup holder". I llike the clean open look, and my long legs don't need cramped space. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
This is amazing work. Out of curiousity, I see that there appears to be 2 different colors on the wood. Is one wood then an outer layer of foam? Just curious.

Thanks either way for sharing.
Thanks , but i dont consider it amazing , it was a afternoon project that turned out better then i thought.there is foam on the higed lid
Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

My 2 cents: If you are going to do a console, OEM style or nothing. I think the console really looks good, but I'm not a fan of the fancy custom ones.

Coupes look really good with out the console too. It opens up the interior more.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

My car has never had a console since I purchased it, wasn't one there when I purchased it.

When we replaced the floor pans and carpet there was evidence (i.e. old screw holes) on the hump that the car may have had a console at one time back when.

I like it without a console though. Opens up the interior and frankly the car is not my daily driver so I really don't need one. I mostly drive it short cruising type trips around here to local car meets, etc.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

When I had my '67 coupe, I came across an original '67 console in great shape for $400. The thing about the original console is - other than dressing up the interior, it's pretty much useless - it's flat to the floor (no arm rest) and there's no cup holders. But hey, you get a really cool place to stick your seat belt!

I found a "hump hugger" type of console that is made to fit over an original console. So I bought that and stuck it in my '67 coupe.

The '67 convertible I have now came with a '68 Shelby-style console. That one has an arm rest / storage area. Much more functional. Mustangs Unlimited sells them for $600.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p?T1=D7BLKA+01
Attached Thumbnails To use a console or to NOT use a console? What's your opinon?-mustang-072.jpg  

Quick Reply: To use a console or to NOT use a console? What's your opinon?