Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

To use a console or to NOT use a console? What's your opinon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Default To use a console or to NOT use a console? What's your opinon?

OK....

A little background on myself. I have over 8 years of experience doing interior work. So all the interior on my Coupe will/should not be a major issue for me. I have considered/decided (still up in the air) to make my own console for the middle of my Coupe's interior. I realize that the original interior had a console, yet I have seen a lot of pictures where people are doing their interior without a console. Which brings me to the follow conclusions.
1. They don't want to pay the $1000 for a replica one.
2. Their original console didn't match up to their expectations.
3. They didn't know how to make a new one.
4. They just didn't want it.

With all that said, I am asking the forum for their opinion on whether or not a 67 Coupe should or should not have the console in it?

OK, double/triple negatives there, but I think I got my point across.

So, what's the thoughts folks?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 AM
65-2+2

My thought....for what it's worth. If it's not original or aftermarket to look original....leave it alone.

Disclaimer: I'm an old school enthusiast. I bought a 65 rally-pac and had it refurbished just to have a tachometer.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Mine has one, I am going to do away with it when I do the t-5 swap. I just dont see what good it is, sure it can hold my McDonald's sweet tea while parked, but the floor hump could do the task just as well. Other than that I fail to see what it's really for. Now, it may end up being a good spot to hide an Alpine amp...hmm, anyway Im not building the "secretary's car" version though so it really depends what look you are going for. Im even doing away with the GT fog lights up front.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

My opinion is that all cars need a console. I fall under number 1 and 3 on your list. I don't want to pay that much money and I've tried a few times to make something but, was never happy with the results.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Build your own console or get an aftermarket one. The original ones certainly look the part, but I wouldn't dish out the money for one, I'd rather make my own...
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I used to run consoles in all my Mustangs, but then I took it out for something, got busy, left it out for several months, decided I liked it that way. Look at it this way, 65-67 Shelbys never had them, and 68-70 Shelbys always had them. Pretty much personal choice.

You'd never know, walking around car shows, that very few Mustangs came with consoles, it seems like at least 3/4 of the cars at shows have them.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:03 PM
JamesW

When I was in high school..back in the 70s, I didn't have a console... all the better so my squeeze could sit close....

Now, I prefer the comfort of having a place to rest my elbow during long drives. The girls don't ride with me like they used to...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I like having a arm rest ill always have a console in everything if i can oem or aftermarket.You can use a console from a later year like 69-73 it will fit but might look funny.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

Definitely do a console, you can make a really nice one out of some fiberboard or thick plywood, then cover it in thin foam and black vynil. thats how i did mine, its sooo useful. It houses my aftermarket headunit, i cut 2 cupholder holes in it, it has a big storage compartment, and the ARMREST. driving without an armrest for long periods of time sucks. If you have interior experience you should definitely make one.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I made my own to hold guages,a padded arrest and storage for misc. items

Quick Reply: To use a console or to NOT use a console? What's your opinon?