Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Decided to sell my baby before entering basic training, need input on asking price

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

DONT DO IT!!!! those autoshops are amazing Most of these shops are fully loaded. Your gonna have opportunity and access to shop equipment that you wouldn't normally have available. I know first hand. If it's paid for, keep it, you'll thank yourself later.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

not raining on your parade but here's my perspective

you are going into the Army, you will have food, shelter, and clothing, oh and a paycheck = keep the car, even if you stick it in storage at $100 per month, or a friends place for $25 a month, find a deal

if you sell this car, no matter what you get for it you won't buy one in the same condition for that amount of money

it is a 1969 coupe, less desirable than the 67/68 year models, and even less desirable than the 65/66 models, my opinion and validated with recent Craigslist prices in California

if it was a 1969 fastback we are talking $10,000 plus easy - those are bad azz

yes everything I am saying is leaning towards KEEP THE CAR son, LOL you will regret it later, what stories will you tell when you are in that fox hole in the middle of bum frock egypt, what will you look forward to when coming home after your girl sends you the dear john letter, if you are married sorry, but if you have a girlfriend it will happen just move on, the car won't leave you
Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well if you're going to the army, you won't need any money. they provide you with roof and food. so what's the point in selling the car? If I had 6k lying around I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM
rpm_carter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
not raining on your parade but here's my perspective

you are going into the Army, you will have food, shelter, and clothing, oh and a paycheck = keep the car, even if you stick it in storage at $100 per month, or a friends place for $25 a month, find a deal

if you sell this car, no matter what you get for it you won't buy one in the same condition for that amount of money

it is a 1969 coupe, less desirable than the 67/68 year models, and even less desirable than the 65/66 models, my opinion and validated with recent Craigslist prices in California

if it was a 1969 fastback we are talking $10,000 plus easy - those are bad azz

yes everything I am saying is leaning towards KEEP THE CAR son, LOL you will regret it later, what stories will you tell when you are in that fox hole in the middle of bum frock egypt, what will you look forward to when coming home after your girl sends you the dear john letter, if you are married sorry, but if you have a girlfriend it will happen just move on, the car won't leave you
Dang Gregski.... MR.SUNSHINE "LOL".... seriously jest kidding. However curt, Mr. Sunshine stated this .....he's right on many points. If you can keep the car...KEEP it. I like the car a lot...but not 5k worth. I like it at 4! coupes just don't bring the cash no matter how cool or fast. If I'm in a foxhole.... you aint gonna impress me with the 2010 GT talk. But I'll listen to a classic discussion for sure..... and it'll be there when you come back as you roll the cover off and say "those guys were right"

First and foremost.... you be safe where ever ya go and we're thankful!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Gone are the days when the military paid for food, clothing and shelter. At least in the Marines, you get free shelter but everything else you pay for.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

I can honestly say you guys have changed my mind and I'm going to keep it.

I looked into my local storage options: I can either do a self-storage thing for around $150/mo, or there are a couple of businesses that specialize in classic car storage and will periodically charge the battery, check the tires etc. for $300.

I have to go to 9 weeks of basic training, 12 weeks of OCS training, and then 8-16 weeks of training for the "job" I select at the end of OCS. Then off to my regular duty station. So I guesstimate it would be almost a year until I could relocate the vehicle to my new residence...

Do you think it's beneficial to pay the extra money to have someone periodically check on it, or should I go the cheap route and just unhook the battery and drain the gas tank?

Thanks again, you guys are the best.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toddman0025
I can honestly say you guys have changed my mind and I'm going to keep it.

I looked into my local storage options: I can either do a self-storage thing for around $150/mo, or there are a couple of businesses that specialize in classic car storage and will periodically charge the battery, check the tires etc. for $300.

I have to go to 9 weeks of basic training, 12 weeks of OCS training, and then 8-16 weeks of training for the "job" I select at the end of OCS. Then off to my regular duty station. So I guesstimate it would be almost a year until I could relocate the vehicle to my new residence...

Do you think it's beneficial to pay the extra money to have someone periodically check on it, or should I go the cheap route and just unhook the battery and drain the gas tank?

Thanks again, you guys are the best.
Success! Haha, glad to hear you're keeping it! You won't regret it!

I personally would go the cheaper route and unhook the battery and drain the tank. Maybe if you have a buddy you could have him check on it once every 2 months or something to check on the tires. That might not even be necessary since you mentioned it has a good set of tires on there.

$300 a month for someone to charge the battery and check the air is too much for me.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Success! Haha, glad to hear you're keeping it! You won't regret it!

I personally would go the cheaper route and unhook the battery and drain the tank. Maybe if you have a buddy you could have him check on it once every 2 months or something to check on the tires. That might not even be necessary since you mentioned it has a good set of tires on there.

$300 a month for someone to charge the battery and check the air is too much for me.

That's what I'm thinking too. I could justify the $300 if it was in mint condition or was a rare vehicle, but I think she'll be fine under a car cover in a shed LOL.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:10 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

good :-) she will be fine under a cover in a shed
Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

Kalli your car looks amazing!

Quick Reply: Decided to sell my baby before entering basic training, need input on asking price