Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A man's garage is his castle... but not in Stockbridge, MA

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Default A man's garage is his castle... but not in Stockbridge, MA

I just read this article about a guy who built a very cool garage with a lift and now his neighbors are pissed claiming he is running a business out of it when his friends come over with their cars.
When did people become so intolerant of others. I mean seriously this isn't a house on a 50' X 150' lot. I like peace and quiet as much as the next guy, but I think this is a case of someone that can't let something be.

http://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/hob....aspx?id=73896
another link
http://www.historicvehicle.org/stockbridgegarage

A man’s home is his castle, or so thought Jeff Greenfield. The Stockbridge, Massachusetts, man loves working on and talking about cars. He built a beautiful garage with a lift, and with it came an open invitation to car buddies.

In December 2009, the Town of Stockbridge sent Greenfield a cease and desist order prohibiting him from working on any vehicle not licensed to his address. Yet, he doesn’t run a business and doesn’t charge for helping friends. If the goal was to cut visitors to the wooded property that’s been in the family for years, his neighbors have succeeded.

Cars have always been part of Greenfield’s life. “Mom rode to the hospital to deliver me in a 1962 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider that was Dad’s daily driver for 10 years,” says Greenfield. Family vehicles included Alfa GTVs, several Jaguars, a Lancia, and several BMWs. Jeff’s earliest memory is of sitting on a Brooklyn curb learning the difference between a flathead and a Phillips screwdriver as Dad worked on the Alfa.

Greenfield’s first car, a rusty Vega, quickly gave way to a 1975 Alfa Romeo Spider. It was a short step from tune-ups to replacing the injection with Weber carburetors. When college didn’t stick, he moved to the family home in Stockbridge. When the Alfa dropped a valve, he rebuilt the engine and transmission with advice from a friend and parts from Ereminas Imports. During one parts call, he accepted a job offer to sell Alfa parts. Greenfield was soon helping Alfa club members work on their cars after hours.

He started his own car repair business in 1985. He loved the work, but says the overhead was brutal and business was a constant struggle. In 1991, he gave it up to return to college and pursue other interests.

In 2003, Greenfield obtained permits to build a 26' X 40' garage. Trouble started when the work began in April 2004.

“The day we excavated, a neighbor showed up screaming bloody murder,” Greenfield says. Within 24 hours the building inspector had halted work and ordered a soil analysis. Passing that hurdle, the slab was poured. However, in July, the town stopped the work again because of a neighbor’s claims that groundwater from footing drains would contaminate wells. This time, an environmental impact study was ordered. Work proceeded, but with specific instructions on directing water flow.

After Labor Day, Greenfield and his dad began the framing. “We did pretty much all of the construction ourselves,” he says, “except for wiring and shingling.” Outside, the soil from the excavation was used to create a landscaped berm that mostly blocks the view from the street.

Shortly after the garage was complete, the Greenfields received a cease-and-desist order to stop all commercial activity — but there was none. No one could prove that Greenfield was anything but an enthusiast who helped his friends. The real blow came in December when an order arrived stating: “You are hereby ordered to cease and desist all work (including, without limitation, repair, restoration and refurbishment) on any automobile, other vehicle, or part thereof not owned by a resident of this address.” It did not apply to other Stockbridge residents.

Greenfield hired a lawyer and appealed the decision. Between February and May 2010, there were four zoning board hearings, including a site visit. Neighbors complained of heavy traffic and loud noises, while one resident couldn’t understand why anybody without a business would build a big garage. The board determined that there had been no commercial activity, yet still upheld the cease-and-desist order. Zoning Board of Appeals chair Linda Day declined to comment.

Neither Greenfield nor his friends can understand the situation. They’re all mature adults and are respectful of their cars on the dirt road. And the garage is well insulated so that hardly any sound escapes. The process has left Jeff Greenfield disappointed and angry.

Much of his pleasure comes from working on cars and sharing his experience. He can’t even work on his girlfriend’s car; though they’ve been together 15 years, she has her own home.

Now the Greenfields have hired a lawyer specializing in zoning and ordinance issues and are headed for court. Maybe when it’s over a man’s home — or at least his garage — will be his castle once more.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Interesting. I'd like to see where this ends up.

On a personal note, people need to mind their own freaking business...
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

Thats just pathetic! He payed for it and built it on his own property for his own enjoyment. Sounds like the neighbor had it out for him from the start. I just dont understand some people. I hope he wins in court, and would be interested in following it.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Very interesting read. Really pisses me off to see what some people have come to. In downtown Madison GA it is considered a "Historic District" and ALL changes to your property are monitored TO THE FINEST DETAIL. Seriously, you have to file a permission form just to change your shutters, change your front patio/porch, or even paint your house....

Luckily I live 10 minutes out of town on 250 acres of land with nobody to bother or be bothered by. I can only feel even more so fortunate when I read stories like these. Looking forward to see what happens.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Stuff like that pisses me off to no end, put in the same circumstances, I think I would have to find an outlet in some kind of "yard art" projects...... using lots of "pretty colors" and very obscure "objects of art".

Those a$$holes may well win the battle and the war, but by the time I was done they would likely wish they never started this war.

And that is no lie.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Very interesting read. Really pisses me off to see what some people have come to. In downtown Madison GA it is considered a "Historic District" and ALL changes to your property are monitored TO THE FINEST DETAIL. Seriously, you have to file a permission form just to change your shutters, change your front patio/porch, or even paint your house....

Luckily I live 10 minutes out of town on 250 acres of land with nobody to bother or be bothered by. I can only feel even more so fortunate when I read stories like these. Looking forward to see what happens.

i live in a Historic district in Brunswick GA...the city can kiss it i do what and when i want on my property....they claim they have made it illegal to work on the cars in my yard(have pics from the 60's) with my grandfather and his "A" frame pulling an engine and it was legal then its legal now.....they have "Taken" use of the property from passing their law and have not justly compensated me from the alleged loss of use for the property

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

this applies to the state of georgia because of the 14th amendment and to any political subdivision of the state ie brunswick
Old 10-12-2010, 09:45 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Rmodel what'd they use your land for?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Rmodel what'd they use your land for?

they havent taken it in the literal sense(its still there) it has been taken by "removing my use that was enjoyed" and that is a taking under the 5th amendment which you must be justly compensated.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
they havent taken it in the literal sense(its still there) it has been taken by "removing my use that was enjoyed" and that is a taking under the 5th amendment which you must be justly compensated.
I gotcha. And heck, if that's what you use your land for, they might as well be literally taking it, there's no difference!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:41 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

sounds like this guys closest neighbor is a lawyer, or has ties to someone on the county board. until he finds out who's behind it, he's scroooowed. how bout building an indoor firing range, and invite all your buddy's, that'll really **** off the neighbor, of course don't forget to leave the garage door open during live fire.

Quick Reply: A man's garage is his castle... but not in Stockbridge, MA