Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stall Issues - what else can I do (pics/vids)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Default Stall Issues - what else can I do (pics/vids)

I think its time for me to get the coupe to a mechanic for a diagnostic of the problem but figured I would post up one more time with pics/vid and see if there is anything else I can try.

I’ve had a stall issue for a few months now. It first started by the car stalling about 5-6 miles from the house. It would start/stall while limping home. Sounded like a fuel issue so I’ve done the following:

-replaced fuel filter
-replaced fuel pump
-blew out lines (found some cunk between tank/pump, thought that may be it)
-replaced newer coil (after getting elect ign) from a few years ago with the coil the car came with to see if that may be issue.
(car ran better and further than the 5-6 miles after blowing lines/replacing coil, thought issue was gone)
-checked fuel flow by unplugging at carb, good flow up to carb, past pump/filter
-checked for filter at carb, none, just a fitting onto rear of carb
-Checked sending unit, when removed I noticed the filter at end of pick up tube had come off, replaced filter and reinstalled, missing filter is still in tank

The problem has worsen now, the car now sounds rough at start up and wants to stall out, it wouldnt make the 5-6 miles, if I ride the gas a bit it will get where it idles but rough, warmed up a bit for about 5 mins, sounds a bit better but last time I tried to drive she wanted to stall out the blocks.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVI_8320.mp4

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVI_8321.mp4

Is there anything else I can check? I am thinking its my carb at this point, does that make sense? Can anyone ID the carb for me, all I know is its an Edlbrock. I have a spacer on there for a few years now to help with startup/vapor lock issues. Can it be time for a carb rebuild or adjustments needed? Electrical?

Thanks, called a local mech, may drop off on Fri, hate that I cant cruise in her with confidence......

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVI_8323.mp4
Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

I guess it is time for a mechanic, I seem to have stumped the board : (
Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Had the same prob a couple months ago.......... try taking the gas cap off and driving it! I put a new cap on and the vent was plugged I guess cuz when I took off the cap, it drove like normal so I just took off the gasket and haven't had a prob since. It was creating a vacuum in the tank and not letting the fuel go to the engine. Something to try before spending money!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

a blocked vent for tank will cause the car to not start again. but ya, could be you drive until you have vacuum in tank, get no fuel and that's it. it seems fuel/carb issue
when in that situation and you accellerate can you actually see fuel flowing when you pump (accellerate). how is she running when you try to keep her at let's say 3000rpm?
from your 2nd video it's like the accellerator pump is not working
Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Havent tried taking the gas cap off, its the same one thats been there for 5+yrs now, easy enough , will try in AM.

Once the problem presented itself it didnt matter if I babied her or floored it, it would just want to stall out. As far as I can tell, fuel is still flowing at that rough idle, looks like enough is shooting into carb. Dont want to sound silly with I guess another newb ?? but what do you mean, accelerator pump not working, what/where is that?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

The accelerator pump is the black plastic piece the is pushed down by the pivot on your throttle blade. (the tetter toter thing when you push the gas) The accelerator pump is supposed to be free to push down into the carb when the gas is pushed. Didn't see that before but it might be stuck, yours just wobbled. With the engine off, open the throttle wide open and make sure it is pushing the accelerator (that black thing) into the carb. Your rod that activates it is bent quite a bit. (Mine is almost straight and moves right away)
Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

The edelbrock carb has some strainer screens in the needle and seat assembly. You mentioned there was some stuff in the fuel lines earlier. It could be these screens are plugged. You will have to disassemble the carb and remove the two assemblies to check. While there check the condition of the needle and seat and check for proper float adjustment. I had this problem before.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Part number 23 in the diagram....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf
Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

when you press the accellerator, it pushes the accellerator pump rod down into the carb. see attached picture with the arrow.

with engine off. open the thottle to accellerate like you did in the video and look into the carb. at the front, where the vertical plate is (choke butterfly). you should see petrol streaming into the carb.
I have a feeling that this is not working properly.

the cap and the screens is another good idea. it really is like you are starved for petrol when accellerating.

if you try and accellerate and then keep the rpms higher than idle. let's say 2000 and you have similar issue (coughing, sputtering) then it's that the carb is not getting enough petrol or waaay too much (leaking). check that and what the others said first
Old 10-17-2010, 12:32 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Gas cap fix didnt work, still runs rough with cap off.

Kali, I dont see an attached picture with arrow, will try to find the (the tetter toter thing when you push the gas) ,thanks Randy, on the pics from 69's site.

Didint know about the strainer screens, nevre thought I would dare break down the carb, seems like there are to many pieces and would be easy to srew up.

Would look into trying that or mech time....

Thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply: Stall Issues - what else can I do (pics/vids)