Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

I've been running non adjustable white KYB shocks for over 10 years; I like them.

Stock mustang springs w/ KYB and 1" front sway bar has a nice ride and is enjoyable to drive on mountain roads at speed limit w/ minimal body roll.

Mustang w/ GT springs, non adjustable KYB shocks, and stock sway bar has a slightly firmer ride than above. Does not roll much around curves at speed limit.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Something to think about. When you add more sway bar in the front, yes you will limit body roll, but you are also going to increase under steer. This is why most manufacturers recommend a combination front and back sway bars that limit body roll but also get your car back closer to neutral steering. That is when you REALLY notice a difference. More rear sway bar = over steer...more front sway bar = under steer (push). Stock, classic mustangs understeer. If you get a matching set of front and rear sway bars, you can get your car handling neutral or just slightly understeer...over steer can be scary on a street car if you do not know what you are doing.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

You are correct cowboy.
Mustang performance on the race track can actually decrease by adding too much front sway bar.
For my personal amusement, I prefer less body roll for quick lane changes and feeling of firmness around corners; could possibly break loose on front end easier, but I don't push my car that hard.

If I did push my car to the limit (or get a "round to it") I would add balanced front and rear sway bars like you said.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Something to think about. When you add more sway bar in the front, yes you will limit body roll, but you are also going to increase under steer. This is why most manufacturers recommend a combination front and back sway bars that limit body roll but also get your car back closer to neutral steering. That is when you REALLY notice a difference. More rear sway bar = over steer...more front sway bar = under steer (push). Stock, classic mustangs understeer. If you get a matching set of front and rear sway bars, you can get your car handling neutral or just slightly understeer...over steer can be scary on a street car if you do not know what you are doing.
Scary is an understatment. When I had the original (OEM) front sway bar on my car I had it sideways a couple of times. Scared the crap out of me. I would definitely go with a slightly thicker bar up front than in the rear.
I actually took the rear one off my car because it made it too stiff on the street and my car really isn't a cornering car.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I run a 1 1/8" in front and a 7/8" in the back which makes for a stiff but neutral balance. It feels loose when you are used to understeer cars, but it actually drives very freely when you get hard on it in corners. I really need to get my front suspension and steering upgraded to play with it hard in the corners, so I am content now with playing in a straight line . I can easily take turns at 30-40mph over the posted corner speed, but it took some getting used to and the sloppy factory power steering makes me pucker from time to time but the car corners like on rails.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
wonso79
2nd Gear Member

So if I were looking to get better handling would a 1" front and 3/4" rear be good?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

Making a specific recommendation for your car would be hard without knowing your spring rates, ride height, etc.

If I were putting together a suspension and had to choose, I'd take the stock springs cut down to lower the ride height up front, stock rate out back, lowered to match the front, a 1.5 inch hollow front bar, and a 7/8s adjustable Stam Bar out back.

The Stam Bar will allow your to tailor the amount of rear roll stiffness to achieve neutral handling.

Add in the Shelby drop, some decent shocks, and some good summer high performance rubber and your car will out handle 95% of cars on the road today.

Good luck...
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wonso79
So if i get a 1" front sway bar is there any type of new springs, shocks that I should get as well or just some performance onces will work?
You could go the economy route:
The 1" sway bar will work fine with the stock springs and shocks (provided they are in good condition).
You can always upgrade springs or shocks later.
Shocks are mostly for dampening the bouncy ride but some can stiffen the ride also.
Upgrade springs if you want a stiffer ride or to fix a sag.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 10-18-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
You could go the economy route:
The 1" sway bar will work fine with the stock springs and shocks (provided they are in good condition).
You can always upgrade springs or shocks later.
Well said.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
wonso79
2nd Gear Member

thanks!

Quick Reply: Sway Bar