Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

shaking above 50 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Mustangsprint

I asked a Mustang restoration shop about my experience and he confirmed what I was saying.He said around 50 mph ? I love my Mustang and it drives great I just stay out of that speed range.No vibration below or above that one speed.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Mustangsprint

Ford new by removing the top in Mustangs they were weakening the car.Frame rails that are unique to convertibles are built into each side of the car.They also installed torque boxes under the frame to give added strength.Hardtops and Fastbacks do not have this.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Mustangsprint

i am sure you have driven other Mustangs.I have driven on roads that is was smooth as silk at that speed and others it starts vibrating at that speed.Drive at that one speed for more than a few min and you will see what I am talking about.Drive on many different roads.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Mustangsprint

I can drive my Mustang up to 55 60 mph with no vibration.My point is staying at that speed is where the vibration starts.50 mph
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangsprint
Or just put in "What is cowl shake" on the Internet.It gives you the definition.I love my Mustang and I drive it a lot.I am not making this stuff up.My entire suspension is new from from to back.Above average in condition.No rust and has never been wrecked.My other 68 Mustang restored did the same thing.
No worries. I did not think you are making it up, I just never heard of it.
Fortunately I never encountered it.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Mustangsprint

Maybe I need to try the Monte Carlo bars.I see a lot of convertibles with this.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Mustangsprint

I am quoting a gentleman from another website.He states.67 Mustang convertibleGetting a shake at 50 mph.Seens to be noticible in the steering wheel and windshield area.Seems to go side to side.If I increase speed to 55 it settles down.I had this shake before I replaced most of the steering components.I also had an alignment and a Monte Carlo bar installed.I had the tires balanced also.What am I missing? Ron. Kinda a mystery
Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 AM
rsweetin

My 1965 Mustang tires looked like new! I had bought the car used. But I had similar problem. As I continued to drive, it got worse and worse. The belts were separating on the inside creating an egg effect. Put a brand new set of Hankook white wall tires on it, and it drove like a charm!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangsprint
Maybe I need to try the Monte Carlo bars.I see a lot of convertibles with this.
And an export brace...
Old 08-21-2015, 05:02 AM
Mustangsprint

Default Thanks! Sounds like tires to me.

]My 1965 Mustang tires looked like new! I had bought the car used. But I had similar problem. As I continued to drive, it got worse and worse. The belts were separating on the inside creating an egg effect. Put a brand new set of Hankook white wall tires on it, and it drove like a charm![/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: shaking above 50 mph