Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

For those of you with multiple speakers...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default For those of you with multiple speakers...

Where did you put them?

I've got a 66, and as far as I know, the only stock speaker locations are the:

1) Rear 6x9 in package tray location
2) Front 4x10 under dash pad

I'd like to have 4 or so, but I just don't know where to put them without hacking up the car. I could buy those kick panels but they look kind of odd. Maybe not though, I haven't seen them installed in person.

The PO of my car put a 5" speaker screwed through the metal on the package tray. It looks terrible, especially since the hole is not even a circle.

(They put it in the hole on the far right)
Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I haven't done it yet, but I plan to put 6x9s in the rear and get one of the stereo speakers for the dash. I don't know the quality of the dash speakers, so if anyone can attest, please speak up.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
john721
2nd Gear Member

There are a few "upgraded" versions of the dash speaker. I ordered the best one offered from the shop, and pretty happy with it. I also went with the kick panels designed for speakers. They are simple, and no mods needd, and sound better than nothing. Still nothing in the back, and dont think I'll ever put any back there. If it were a coupe, definately would put in the back.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The factory setup for 64-66 coupes was one 4x10 speaker in the front, in the center of the dash, and if the rear speaker or rear speaker w/reverb had a 6x9 in the center under a speaker grille painted the same color as the package tray.

When using modern radios, I use dual voice coil speakers, and connect both left channels to the front speaker, and both right channels to the rear. No cutting of the car is needed, although the package tray and sound deadener need a rectangular hole in the center.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Gun Jam

Humm curious...

I have two 6x9s in the rear package tray and I think 4x6s in the doors.

My 66 had something very close 4x6 in door that was stock I simply modified the hole just a bit to accept these newer speakers...You guys must have door speakers too or not? Was that an option?

-Gun
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I don't want to cut holes in my doors, and I think my feet are too big to use the kick panel speakers without banging into them all the time.

Besides, the sweetest music will probably be the exhaust ...
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Humm curious...

My 66 had something very close 4x6 in door that was stock I simply modified the hole just a bit to accept these newer speakers...You guys must have door speakers too or not? Was that an option?

-Gun
Weird... how do you have two 6x9s in the package tray? Are they mounted in the rectangular cutouts? I guess there could be some type of adapter made for that...but I don't know.

I haven't checked my doors.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Humm curious...

66-68 optionally had a 4x8 speaker in each door if the car was ordered with an AM/8-Track Stereo, or in 68 with the AM/FM Stereo.

No 64-73 Mustang had dual rear deck speakers, even though many 68-73 had cutouts stamped for them. It is possible to install dual speakers in the rear deck of the 64-67, although some drilling and cutting is likely.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Gun Jam

Ah yes it did indeed have the AM/8 track.

neat

Thanks

-Gun
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm running the little stereo pair of 2 way speakers in the dash and 6x9 in the rear with the factory speaker grilles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those of you with multiple speakers...