Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Will this work for removing rust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM
n2fastuff

Soda blasting!!!!!! it doesn't warp/burn the surface like sand or glass. Take it to a welding/blasting shop that does such stuff and save the hassle for yourself!!!!!!SODA is KING!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
I got some stuff called rust inhibitor....... is that the same thing? I got mine in the paint aisle in home depot. Are you saying, I don't need to remove it?

And finally yes it is inside the cab not on the top of the roof. So technically it is the ceiling of the interior.
I used www.por15.com

or you can use this http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html followed by http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html

Not sure I would use anything from Homedepot
Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by n2fastuff
Soda blasting!!!!!! it doesn't warp/burn the surface like sand or glass. Take it to a welding/blasting shop that does such stuff and save the hassle for yourself!!!!!!SODA is KING!
I've spoken with shops that refuse to use soda because it gets everywhere and you'll have a hard time getting out of the car. Mine car was done with plastic media to remove the paint followed by an oxide to give me a surface the primer could bite into. Still a PIA to get all the media out. No warp or burn but it may have more to do with the guy on the gun.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I used www.por15.com

or you can use this http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html followed by http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html

Not sure I would use anything from Homedepot

For this Por15 stuff you pointed out, did you use all three steps or did you just paint the Por15 stuff right over top the rust?

Sorry, something in my gut is saying that everyone here is telling me that I don't need to remove the rust, just cover it.

Help......
Old 11-12-2010, 03:06 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
For this Por15 stuff you pointed out, did you use all three steps or did you just paint the Por15 stuff right over top the rust?

Sorry, something in my gut is saying that everyone here is telling me that I don't need to remove the rust, just cover it.

Help......
I stripped my entire car then had it blasted but I still followed all 3 steps. I know several people that used por, that is why I went with it. They all just removed the loose stuff then followed the 3 steps.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I stripped my entire car then had it blasted but I still followed all 3 steps. I know several people that used por, that is why I went with it. They all just removed the loose stuff then followed the 3 steps.
I emailed Daniel Nolan at the Mustang Barn and he recommended using this http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html if there is no flakey rust on the car. IDK if I will or not, but I am thinking about it none the less. Anyone use this stuff?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

From what I can see in the pic, the rust is not really that bad, not that invasive. Knowing that, you can use Ospho (or equivalent), then wire brush and POR over it. Anything that is scale and built up should be cut out and replaced.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the rust out of areas like this, underneath/above this lip?

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...08-44-42AM.jpg

Same picture, but I found that clicking on the direct link gives you a bigger screen shot.

Let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
kev152
1st Gear Member

Getting rust out of tight areas and seams is tough. A chemicle rust remover in small ammounts with a wire brush and small chisel I have used before, but never on anyting to that extent.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Chemicals like POR or the ones Glazier Nolan recommended. I flooded my car with metal ready followed by POR15, it was running out all over the place. Now that the paint is done I'll be doing the same with body wax to make sure its all sealed up.