Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Will this work for removing rust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Default Will this work for removing rust?

Hello all,

I am almost completely feet up with my roof. So I am debating about a sand blaster to help remove the rust that is on it. I found this for sale at sears.com and I would like to know if people think it will do job.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

Can people please let me know their thoughts?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

It will work, yes...but it's going to be a lot of work and a bit of a hassle. But, I can understand the frustration with a rusty roof, so I see why you'd want to use it. There will be sand literally everywhere, and you'll want to wear LOTS of protection so you don't inhale it, nor does it hit you (that stuff can hurt). You'll also need a pretty powerful compressor.

How bad is the roof rust?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Using a sand blaster will probably warp the roof and cause "oil canning" of the metal from the heat.
Read this as another option:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/secr...ght=rust+randy
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/osph...+dead+body+man
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
fordmus67tang

I am also debating on getting one of these so I can sand blast the undercarriage. I have new floor pans and want to clean out the rest, then paint it. I found these at harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity...gun-93221.html and http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kit-37025.html. They're cheaper and yes, I know it's a harbor freight tool, but I only need it for my undercarriage.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
cmidland

I had one of those 15 years ago. I used it to spot blast on a 1969 Mach 1's frame rails. It does work, but you'll hate it. You'll need a pretty big compressor to keep up, it makes a huge mess (sand everywhere), and will probably warp the roof.
There are better ways to remove rust. The chemical method is messy, but not near as messy as sandblasting. I'm pretty happy with Eastwoods rust remover gel, but there are mulitple posts on-line that will help with your situation.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Good luck warping anything with that tiny bastard....
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mySAVIOReigns
It will work, yes...but it's going to be a lot of work and a bit of a hassle. But, I can understand the frustration with a rusty roof, so I see why you'd want to use it. There will be sand literally everywhere, and you'll want to wear LOTS of protection so you don't inhale it, nor does it hit you (that stuff can hurt). You'll also need a pretty powerful compressor.

How bad is the roof rust?
Here's an example of my rust.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

On the inside, hit with something like POR metal ready followed by POR15. Eastwood and several others make similar products.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

If that is on the inside which it looks like it is I would shoot some rust encapulator on it and call it good.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
If that is on the inside which it looks like it is I would shoot some rust encapulator on it and call it good.
I got some stuff called rust inhibitor....... is that the same thing? I got mine in the paint aisle in home depot. Are you saying, I don't need to remove it?

And finally yes it is inside the cab not on the top of the roof. So technically it is the ceiling of the interior.

Quick Reply: Will this work for removing rust?