Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc Brake Swap - Brake Pedel too low?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 AM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Default Disc Brake Swap - Brake Pedel too low?

Ok, so I'm in the process of doing the swap using the kit from discbrakeswap.com and everything was going smoothly until I went to reinstall the brake pedal.

I am upgrading to power assisted brakes so I had to install the power booster. It bolted on to the stock holes just fine. But now, for some reason the brake pedal is sitting really low, only a couple inches from the floorboard. (Before I started the swap the clutch and brake were even. Now there is a good 3" between them)

Is this just because the braking system isn't pressurized? Should it return to normal position once I do that? It's either that or the push rod going into the power booster is shorter than the one on the old master cylinder....... but from measuring the appear pretty close.

Anyone have any experience with this issue that could help?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

So the brakes aren't bled yet? Because if not, the pedal would probably be too low. If the pedal still sits too low after you bleed them, you probably need a longer brake rod. StreetorTrack.com has adjustable ones that look pretty nice.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:30 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I am saying your push rod is too short.

The booster should push the pedal all the way out regardless of the state of bleeding the brakes.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376
So the brakes aren't bled yet? Because if not, the pedal would probably be too low. If the pedal still sits too low after you bleed them, you probably need a longer brake rod. StreetorTrack.com has adjustable ones that look pretty nice.

All the lines are still open. Brakes lines aren't even run yet. I just mounted the power booster to the firewall and hooked up the brake pedal and noticed this "issue".

I'm just wondering if it will resolve itself once everything is installed, bled, etc or if this is something that is just wrong.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Yea sounds like the pushrod isn't long enough. Check out streetortrack.com for their adjustable one
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm also going to say that you need an adjustable pushrod.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kbryan
Ok, so I'm in the process of doing the swap using the kit from discbrakeswap.com and everything was going smoothly until I went to reinstall the brake pedal.

I am upgrading to power assisted brakes so I had to install the power booster. It bolted on to the stock holes just fine. But now, for some reason the brake pedal is sitting really low, only a couple inches from the floorboard. (Before I started the swap the clutch and brake were even. Now there is a good 3" between them)

Is this just because the braking system isn't pressurized? Should it return to normal position once I do that? It's either that or the push rod going into the power booster is shorter than the one on the old master cylinder....... but from measuring the appear pretty close.

Anyone have any experience with this issue that could help?

Thanks!
Thanks guys, for attempting to help, but the forum should not be the first source of advise on this problem. The OP does not provide enough information for viewers to identify the configuration of the system or to determine a cause of the problem. A call to the vendor (me, 512-947-6718) would be a lot more useful.

FYI, the push rod length is correct, and it is adjustable. Without more info, I guess that the poster is trying to mount the power brake pedal in the same mount location as the original manual pedal. The power brake pedal mounts at a different location. Look for a 3/8" hole bored into each side of the pedal hanger, up near the firewall. Call if you need assistance or if this is not the nature of the problem.

Last edited by degins; 11-16-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by degins
Specializing in front disk brake swaps for those models of cars introduced in the 1960's that I may not mention or the company that made them will sue me.
ROFLAO! I remember seeing a wholesale catalog that listed "reptile" emblems for these cars we have that are named after wild American horses.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by degins
Thanks guys, for attempting to help, but the forum should not be the first source of advise on this problem. The OP does not provide enough information for viewers to identify the configuration of the system or to determine a cause of the problem. A call to the vendor (me, 512-947-6718) would be a lot more useful.

FYI, the push rod length is correct, and it is adjustable. Without more info, I guess that the poster is trying to mount the power brake pedal in the same mount location as the original manual pedal. The power brake pedal mounts at a different location. Look for a 3/8" hole bored into each side of the pedal hanger, up near the firewall. Call if you need assistance or if this is not the nature of the problem.
You nailed it...... I tried to mount the new pedal in the old hole and it obviously didn't work so I went back to the old pedal.

Didn't mean to go behind your back....... just thought you would be closed on Sunday.

Thanks again for the help. Loving the look of the new brakes so far...... can't wait to drive it!