Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:09 AM
mustankid

Default 66 coupe

Hello, my name is Trent I'm 19 years old and I was hoping to get a few critiques on my work. For starters, my old man used to collect 66 coupes.. his first car was a coupe and ever since then he fell in love with them. When it came time for me to drive, he handed me one for 200 bucks a month. This car had a very interesting story... a retired woman bought it for grocery runs and to get to and from church, it had about 130k original miles on it. an all original A code. Unfortunately she passed away, her son got a hold of it and then sold it to my pops for extremely cheap not knowing what it was worth. well, after having it for about 6 months it was completely trashed. I blew my tranny and racked my suspension to the point where my wheels were squealing driving down the road. when senior year came my dad did me the biggest favor and had it all gone through, exhaust, removed emissions, fixed the tranny and had suspension completely repaired. I've crashed it twice since then, and the suspension is now and will remain crappy until i put a new lower control arm in it... it still drives, the tires are just very slowly balding because of the camber. anyways, when the stang had been repaired at a special mustang shop, i offered to work there for about a week to get a nice discount which was about 20 percent off. the total repair bill was about 6k. Anyways, the guy liked my work ethics and i asked for a job started out as mop boy for 7 bones an hour. After working there for about two years i asked enough questions to be promoted to a technician. long story short i ended my career there and decided to do a little work on my mustang. My dad has the pics of it original, but here are the restoration pictures from start to finish. Remember, this is not the original condition i got it in... this is after dumping money into it for about two years... and then deciding to paint.

Yes that's a white 97 gt, and the red car is a 2009 gt.
we love mustangs.

getting all the body work done took 2 weeks
from primer to completely finished took 1 week
this is obviously a garage project, i'm sorry i dont have better pics of the body work that was done. The trunk had a huge dent in it, the front valance was completely buckled. The entire passenger side had been swiped from when the lady was backing out of her garage, which jammed the door handle into the door and dented the fender flare. The drivers side rear qt panel had to giant dents. When i decided to remove the side ornaments a while ago, i couldnt get to the nuts so i took dykes and just cut the tabs which really messed that sheet metal up. The pass side fender had been buckled from when i had it at the shop, some dumb *** ex employee was pulling it in to the bay and hit an el camino (hence why i say ex).

Anyways, I liked the gt look so i went with that. I decided to shave my fenders except for the running pony.. I wanted to get ones that say the engine size so i left them off until i decide which engine i want (my dad is an engine builder). There are still a few flaws, i had to hit it twice with clear and it still wasnt enough. after spending about 13 hours straight color sanding and buffing i decided it was good enough for me.

While buffing i had the cord wrapped going from in front of my left arm, around the back of my neck and down the front of my right arm so i could do the top of the doors. I got in too close and the buffer snagged the cord reeling it up very fast. the buffer nearly choked me out because i had it on auto to where you didnt have to press the button to make it go. i ran in my garage after i got it turned off and managed to get the cord undone after about 30 seconds. I now have a huge buffer burn on my chest and my wrist. haha. some kids were watching me do this not too far away, after i ran in my garage i saw them walk up and they jus stared at me to see if i was still alive.

This was my first time ever even seeing what bondo looked like
this was my first time ever really using a paint gun
this was my first time ever doing body work
this was my first time ever color sanding
this was my first time using a buffer

Yesterday was the day i got it done, so today was the first full day i've had it complete. of course it rains.

Specs:

-Original 289 including heads
-weiand high rise 180 dual plane intake manifold
-4bbl carb
-Northern aluminum radiator
-k&n air filter
-and some chrome **** such as monte carlo bar and shock tower support brace
-custom bent mangnaflow dual exhaust with x pipe
-converted to electronic ignition with those waste of money spark plug wires that cost a hundred bucks.
-all emissions removed

no headers yet, california cars had emissions on the heads, you cant put headers on without cutting up some headers real bad or puttin on new heads... which my dad won't let me since he wants to put a new engine in anyways.

Body

Shaved Fenders
Gt style sides
Shelby style grill ornament
Custom 3 1/2 cowl hood
Classic shelby rally mags on bf good rich tires

The hood is an original 66 mustang steel hood. The scoop was bought from a guy who bought it for his car.... my dad bought it to put on a different hood so that the original a code hood wasnt tampered with. The scoop has been bead welded, riveted and then bondoed and blended on there. When they went to sell a different white coupe, they stuck this hood on there to make it look better... i said i wanted a scooped hood for christmas my dad says hey i know where you can get one for a straight trade. so i traded mine... turns out this guy was the manager of volunteer drivers for barret jackson and asked if i wanted to drive some cars, i said no because it didnt pay and i worked full time. how unfortunate.

my names trent, i'm 19 years old this is my mustang tell me what you think.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Very cool car! I like this '66 better than others I've seen. The slotted mags and cowl make it look really aggressive.

That's a scary story with the buffer. Glad to hear you're ok.

Last edited by hightower2011; 11-22-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Ahh yes, the egg crate full of Mustang parts.... My car is pretty much done but I still have my egg crate! LOL. Good looking coupe. I'm impressed with your work. I know how much of a pain in the @$$ body work is/can be. I salute you and your dad. My oldest daughter is about to get her permit, and she thinks she is going to be driving my Stang some day... Where was she when I was working on it? Not right beside me, I can assure you. Now my youngest is almost 7... She was all about helping me with it, so she MAY get behind the wheel within my lifetime. Drive safe and take care of that car.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

one question, why didnt you paint the underside of the hood?

I have a lot of respect for you doing your own work at your age.I started the same way.I have friends that are CLUELESS on their own cars and they bug the crap out of me to fix them anytime something goes wrong

Good job!!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
mustankid

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Very cool car! I like this '66 better than others I've seen. The slotted mags and cowl make it look really aggressive.

That's a scary story with the buffer. Glad to hear you're ok.
thank you! some guy had the wheels in his backyard, the tires were extremely crusty and needed to be replaced. they wheels themselves were in pretty bad shape also but nothing some steel wool and some time couldnt fix. the guys at my old job said back in their day they would paint the slots whatever color they desired jus to be cool... so i spent a day painting mine black and they actually turned out pretty nice.

haha ya the buffer thing is pretty scary i thought it was actually pretty funny, i told my big brother if i died before this was done he'd have to finish it for me. i said this about 2 days before this happened... pretty wierd stuff.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
mustankid

Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
Ahh yes, the egg crate full of Mustang parts.... My car is pretty much done but I still have my egg crate! LOL. Good looking coupe. I'm impressed with your work. I know how much of a pain in the @$$ body work is/can be. I salute you and your dad. My oldest daughter is about to get her permit, and she thinks she is going to be driving my Stang some day... Where was she when I was working on it? Not right beside me, I can assure you. Now my youngest is almost 7... She was all about helping me with it, so she MAY get behind the wheel within my lifetime. Drive safe and take care of that car.
haha good stories! when i was getting my permit, my dad threw me an 87 fastback he called smurfstang... i didnt want it so he sold it, then he bought me an 87 coupe same color same name i didnt want it. when i moved away i told them i needed a car for school and what not and my dad towed it out for my birthday after we made an agreement. Before i got this car i had absolutely no interest in working on them whatsoever. My dad spent all his free time in the garage working on his race car i never once bothered to even ask if he needed help. this car has greatly improved our relationship and i thank him for teaching me everything he has taught me, even beating my *** for treating it like ****.... if he wouldnt have done so this thing would be an even bigger turd
Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM
mustankid

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
one question, why didnt you paint the underside of the hood?

I have a lot of respect for you doing your own work at your age.I started the same way.I have friends that are CLUELESS on their own cars and they bug the crap out of me to fix them anytime something goes wrong

Good job!!
the hood was already painted basecoat/clearcoat, the top side of the hood was left jus base coat to match the crappy original paint when they first had it on the car. the underside looks great just needs a little bit of love which i havent bothered to give it yet.

and thank you, its hard work... but really if you dont have something you put your mind towards then your putting your mind towards drugs and other non productive things... i would know i was once that person. And yea, i feel yea on the friend thing! I only know how to mess with these old cars, they're so simple and what not and all my friends have new school beaters that they expect me to fix. I jus say "dude i dont even know where the thermostat housing is on this thing, o yea and what the hell is that?"
Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 PM
mustankid

o yea and i forgot to mention, knowing a thing or two does however come in handy when it comes to the ladies. "trenty this this and that happened will you come help me??" i'm not a half bad lookin guy... with my talent and somewhat sarcastic yet cocky personality, it usually leads to great rewards.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

nice job!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:14 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Nice work! I really like the slotted mags. I cant say I'm a fan of the hood though. Thats just proof that hard work does pay off.

Do you have any interior shots?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 11-23-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 66 coupe