Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 coupe front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 AM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

Default 66 coupe front suspension

heres the skinny, i dropped a 351w (iron heads) in my coupe, and the stock coils are not cutting it, what do you guys recommend? i was thinkin this

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/19...d-Pad-Kit.html

or this

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/19...l-Springs.html

i dont really care how she rides, i just want it to handle better and not bottom out, what do you guys think?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Gun Jam

I used the NPD street bandit kit minus the brackets used to lower the rear ride height...I used lowering springs instead. This kit is also used with Global west tubular strut rods, and lower control arms...It is quite an improvement over the stock system.

The NPD kit or the ones listed should have no problem supporting the weight of a 351

However i was unaware that 351 heads weighed much more than 289 heads. was this an I6 car before?

-Gun
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 PM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
I used the NPD street bandit kit minus the brackets used to lower the rear ride height...I used lowering springs instead. This kit is also used with Global west tubular strut rods, and lower control arms...It is quite an improvement over the stock system.

The NPD kit or the ones listed should have no problem supporting the weight of a 351

However i was unaware that 351 heads weighed much more than 289 heads. was this an I6 car before?

-Gun
no this was not a i6, it was originally a 289/auto car, when i got it it had a clapped out 302, so i put a 351w in and later i found out the 351 weighs 150 pounds more than a 302, and it put the nose of my car in the weeds, so later on i put 3/4" coil spring spacers in to help alignment and to keep from bottoming out, well it helped for awhile until my front tires went completely bald, and because of the spacers a shop couldnt align it, so now i want to stiffen the front end to keep from bottoming out and keep a set of tires on the front for longer than one summer, and im also doing this on a budget, thats why i listed the spring set ups above, im thikin the 620lb
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by 66 tang
no this was not a i6, it was originally a 289/auto car, when i got it it had a clapped out 302, so i put a 351w in and later i found out the 351 weighs 150 pounds more than a 302, and it put the nose of my car in the weeds.
Yeah +150lbs sounds about right for 302 vs 351. If thats all it took to get the front end to bottom out then those springs are pretty well worn.

I think you'll find better than stock performance from any of those kits and it should solve your problem.

I can however only speak for the NPD kit as it is all I am familiar with. It made a world of difference and certainly wouldn't have issues with an additional 150 pounds. I weigh about that much and if I stood over the engine I doubt you could see the suspension sag at all.

The NPD kit comes with new shocks, swaybars, bushings and springs. I guess my best advice is to find the kit you like most and compare it to the NPD kit and see how similar they are.

I think you'll need more than just springs...(maybe not swaybars but I think its a good idea) Shocks to match those springs are a must...The NPD kit has the KYB gas adjust which are pretty stiff others have had good luck with koni shocks....Im surprised no one else has offered any other opinions yet.

Happy hunting.

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 11-29-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You should have used 1969 351 springs.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Yeah +150lbs sounds about right for 302 vs 351. If thats all it took to get the front end to bottom out then those springs are pretty well worn.

I think you'll find better than stock performance from any of those kits and it should solve your problem.

I can however only speak for the NPD kit as it is all I am familiar with. It made a world of difference and certainly wouldn't have issues with an additional 150 pounds. I weigh about that much and if I stood over the engine I doubt you could see the suspension sag at all.

The NPD kit comes with new shocks, swaybars, bushings and springs. I guess my best advice is to find the kit you like most and compare it to the NPD kit and see how similar they are.

I think you'll need more than just springs...(maybe not swaybars but I think its a good idea) Shocks to match those springs are a must...The NPD kit has the KYB gas adjust which are pretty stiff others have had good luck with koni shocks....Im surprised no one else has offered any other opinions yet.

Happy hunting.

-Gun
how much was your kit?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Gun Jam

It looks like its 500+ bucks now...It used to be about 300.

Here is the link to the online catalog use the table of contents on the left and click on suspension or enter page 79 at the top nav bar.

http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.as...n09flx&from=2#

We know you'll need the springs and shocks so you can use these to guide your decision and look at other vendors for better prices...Take what you want from the kit and look around online I bet you can get what you need for much less if you assemble the kit yourself based on your needs and possibly using multiple vendors.

Others may chime in with alternatives...There are many good ways of doing things This is the way I went and I have been really happy with it. I daily drive the car and am quite happy with the way it sits (These are lowering springs you may not want these they will lower the nose 2.5 to 3" which was awesome in my case) and how it drives. BUT I didnt pay no 600 for them. Call them and ask about the kit for the 66 351 and write down the numbers and go from there.

-Gun
Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 AM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
You should have used 1969 351 springs.
the only ones i could find were reproduction coils, they are stock replacements, which isnt exactly what im looking for, i'd like lowered an inch in the front and wouldnt mind a stiffer ride, do you have any objections to the 620lb springs?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 AM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

Also, gun jam, do you know what pound your front spring rate is? and does your front end bottom out at all?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66 tang
the only ones i could find were reproduction coils, they are stock replacements, which isnt exactly what im looking for, i'd like lowered an inch in the front and wouldnt mind a stiffer ride, do you have any objections to the 620lb springs?
There are dozens of different springs available, of course they are all "reproduction" but since Ford didn't make the originals, so what?

As for "stock replacement", do you mean standard or GT? Both are available.

Eaton was an original make for Ford, and they are still available. Glazier/Nolan uses a lot of them.

Before you do any of this, you should do the "Arning/Shelby drop". It lowers the front end about 5/8", and the change in suspension geometry dramatically improves handling.

http://site.cobranda.com/tech/aarms.pdf

Quick Reply: 66 coupe front suspension