Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

need help to decode 65 mustang

Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

Default need help to decode 65 mustang

i just bought a mustang vin # is 5F07C802162

the problem im having there is no buck tag on door or the pretecto plate how do i find out what i have ect

i know its got a 289 2v 2 barrel in it, and right now it has a 5 speed manual trans in it , but im wanting to find out original color trim kit ect so when i repaint it as time and money permits it goes back to stock color and trim for resale and history reasons we all know they dont hold vaule as much if repainted outside of the regular color and trim kit
Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The color was on the door tag so your kinda out of luck.But you can take some sand paper to a door jam see what color is under the paint now.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:00 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I usually look at the top of the steel plate under the package tray. It was painted along with the exterior at the factory, and nobody resprays under there when changing color.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

great idea
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 AM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

Default package tray

where is the package tray located at? im new to classic cars my wife dream car was a 65 mustang so for x mas i bought her one, when she opened the garage lastnight when she got home she started crying she couldnt be a more happier wife, needs a few things but for the price i paid for the car i couldnt go wrong,

also can the windshields be resealed on them without replacing the whole window and do i need all new rubber also on the back the rubber looks real good and new but the window leaks in when i washed it along with the front windshield we only paid 8,000 for it came with a brand new motor trans 17 inch foose wheels, big brake kit in front and disc up front , just alot of stuff couldnt beat the price in my eyes what do you guys think? was that a good deal i know it was registered 03/65, does that make it a 64 1/2 or a 65? i know they n said what made them was the early jan thru march of 65 was actually the 64 1/2 but on a decoder website it says its a 65 dunno we may be sittn on a gold mine and we dont know it lol

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
I usually look at the top of the steel plate under the package tray. It was painted along with the exterior at the factory, and nobody resprays under there when changing color.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Package tray = rear dash area, or where the speakers usually reside...go in trunk and look up.

The windshield leak...are you sure its the glass and not the cowl? Is it the carpet getting wet? My bet is that its the cowl leaking. FWIW I try to avoid water on my car for various reasons, but the cowl leak is not uncommon. Pour water down the vent in front of the windshield and see if the carpet gets wet again.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
Package tray = rear dash area, or where the speakers usually reside...go in trunk and look up.
I look at the top of that panel. The bottom could be Chevy orange from a lame color change, but nobody paints the top.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Unless it's a numbers matching Shelby or Boss...it's really not a big deal if colors of a 65 coupe match the VIN or not...as long as it's a quality paint job.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikenkiki05
i just bought a mustang vin # is 5F07C802162

the problem im having there is no buck tag on door or the pretecto plate how do i find out what i have ect

i know its got a 289 2v 2 barrel in it, and right now it has a 5 speed manual trans in it , but im wanting to find out original color trim kit ect so when i repaint it as time and money permits it goes back to stock color and trim for resale and history reasons we all know they dont hold vaule as much if repainted outside of the regular color and trim kit
You can buy a reproduction door tag...you can add your own info...

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/marti.html

I did...and it's great...really well made...and I recommend you get it with the rivets...

Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

since when does that work (marti) with pre 68 cars?
sure if you give them the ionfo from old door tag, but where would they get the real info. they don't have the documents as far as I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help to decode 65 mustang