Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Underhood finishing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Thanks. Geesh, I am so indecisive with this issue. I really don't know what to do. Let me drink a few over the next week or two and ponder this issue. I do know it's between sanding and painting or the U-pol Raptor.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
i completely smoothed mine by sanding and a light skim coat of filler then painted it and put ghost flames.
How about a pic? I bet that looks really cool.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zmetalmilitia
How about a pic? I bet that looks really cool.
let me see if i have anything, if not, i 'll have to do it when i get home.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
N1Rigger

Undercoat the underside of the hood? Like, for really reals? Anything other than painting it with the same paint as body color would really end up looking like a hack job. When I see cars that have had that done, the very first thing that comes to mind is that you really get what you pay for on that cheap paint job dont you? When you paint your car you should remove the hood and trunk lid and paint the underside of them when you do the door jams. Then replace them and paint the car. If the jams and undersides of those panels are not painted when the car is painted, then its a HACK JOB! Remove the hood, mask it off making sure to hide the paint line in the jam. Primer it, scotch bright it and paint it. Its YOUR CAR, do it right. You will be much happier when its done.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The bottom of a fiberglass hood is ready made for Feather Fill G2.

A couple heavy coats and a good sanding will smooth the surface out to perfection.

You will need to cut the existing finish up to get good adhesion, I recommend cutting with 80 grit then the application of feather fill, sand flat with say 220, (depending on how rough it is you might want to go 80 again) and then a second (or third) application sanded to 360 or 400.

The feather fill can be bought for less than 50 a gallon and dries to virtually no shrinkage quickly. For the fiberglass hood it is no doubt better than even high grade primer due to it's "no shrink" characteristic.

Try it, you will like it. Just do not mix more than a quart at a time (at a maximum) and don't use a "good" paint gun.

Last edited by JMD; 12-22-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: $50 NOT $40.... TYPO
Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by N1Rigger
Undercoat the underside of the hood? Like, for really reals? Anything other than painting it with the same paint as body color would really end up looking like a hack job. When I see cars that have had that done, the very first thing that comes to mind is that you really get what you pay for on that cheap paint job dont you? When you paint your car you should remove the hood and trunk lid and paint the underside of them when you do the door jams. Then replace them and paint the car. If the jams and undersides of those panels are not painted when the car is painted, then its a HACK JOB! Remove the hood, mask it off making sure to hide the paint line in the jam. Primer it, scotch bright it and paint it. Its YOUR CAR, do it right. You will be much happier when its done.
Often times fiberglass parts are left unfinished on the bottom sides. The underside of his hood was painted, he just doesn't like the texture of the chopped fiberglass.

Futhermore, have you seen the price of the cars that are using this "hack job" finish? $100k+ Doesn't seem like much of a hack job to me. I'd consider using 2k urethane instead of epoxy on bare metal more of a hack than choosing a finish that you prefer. You are right it is YOUR CAR. His car is already awesome as it is, whatever he decides to do will only make it better. Just sayin...

Last edited by NoReins; 12-21-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM
N1Rigger

I dont care how much they sell for when they are done that way, it shows a lack of attention to detail. And if the person didnt take the time to do that detail that is shown so easily once you open the hood. It makes you wonder what other areas on the car didnt receive attention to detail that you cant see. Obviously he is not happy with the way it turned out, and that is why he is now looking into options to make it the way he wants it. If a lot of the fiberglass hoods are done that way then it might be that it has become an accepted way of leaving it. Its the little details like this that make a real difference between a nice car and a car that is just ok. I have looked at a lot of halfway finished project cars that obviously have not been well thought out on making sure the little details are taken care of without having to go back and create even more work by trying to do them afterwords. Looking for a quick easy fix is never going to get you the results you are looking for. If he wants to have it look nice and match the body color. Then he will have to remove the hood and take the necessary steps to paint it. Covering it with undercoating is a JOE DIRT HACK JOB.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Using the product in question will still require prep work, just not as much as if the surface were to be painted. I don't know why you are saying it would be a hack job or a quick fix? Because you don't like it? Have you ever used it? It's not even a designated 'undercoating'. It's much more than that, which is why it has become so popular. Do you know what using either this product or basecoat have in common? Quite a bit! Both ureathane products, must be mixed to ratio, sprayed through specific equipment, etc.. To the OP- I think you should do whatever you want, just don't let someone else tell you what to do. Either option look great.

Last edited by 5'Oclocksomewhere; 12-21-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

this is all i have right now, cant get a good pic in the garage
Attached Thumbnails Underhood finishing-p1010040.jpg  
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by N1Rigger
I dont care how much they sell for when they are done that way, it shows a lack of attention to detail. And if the person didnt take the time to do that detail that is shown so easily once you open the hood. It makes you wonder what other areas on the car didnt receive attention to detail that you cant see. Obviously he is not happy with the way it turned out, and that is why he is now looking into options to make it the way he wants it. If a lot of the fiberglass hoods are done that way then it might be that it has become an accepted way of leaving it. Its the little details like this that make a real difference between a nice car and a car that is just ok. I have looked at a lot of halfway finished project cars that obviously have not been well thought out on making sure the little details are taken care of without having to go back and create even more work by trying to do them afterwords. Looking for a quick easy fix is never going to get you the results you are looking for. If he wants to have it look nice and match the body color. Then he will have to remove the hood and take the necessary steps to paint it. Covering it with undercoating is a JOE DIRT HACK JOB.
I am planning on using U-Pol Raptor in my engine bay. I would hope that no one thought I cut corners or that it looked like a hack job. Like everything on a car, it is the builder's preference and everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

Quick Reply: Underhood finishing