Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fiber glass hood prop ideas in place of springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

Default Fiber glass hood prop ideas in place of springs

I took the hood springs off due to the bow being creating in the fiber glass hood. Now I face coming up with a method to prop the hood without having to reinstall the springs everytime. Mustangs Unlimited has a hood prop rod that you can install, but after looking at where it would stick into under the hood to keep it up, I can only imagine a nice gust of wind at a car show will send the whole thing crashing. Thought about maybe coming up with a wire cable, or hook rod system to put where the springs go that I can easily carry with me and install when I go to a car show or work on the ride.

Curious as to what all of your solutions were out there for this. Any pictures?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Why not just get fiberglass hood springs? Tony Branda sells a nice set for around 40 dollars.

For a nicer alternative, Mustangs To Fear offers a hydraulic shock hood hindge setup for $249 but you can be sure the quality is top notch.

http://mustangstofear.com/kithingeswshocks.php
Old 12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

I had the fiber glass hood springs but they were creating the bow too. They didn't improve anything and I've had them on there for about 3 years. I could almost see my engine with the hood down looking from the fender. A real nice gap, looked like doo doo
Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I need to do the same thing. I'm thinking about something like a traditional rod but somehow attach it to the hood to where it cannot come off unless I take it off. Like a latch or something. I haven't got that far yet.......It shouldn't be too complicated.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Yea the fiberglass hood springs don't help the bow problem. The issue is leverage the weight of the hood cannot be supported by a 8 inch area.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

What brand hoods are you guys using? I accidently put my hood on with the standard springs the first fitment, didn't flex a bit. Was told by the builder of the hood that the standard springs were too stiff for fiberglass, so I changed the springs out with the light weight springs. A lighter hood is not always better.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Can't remember what the brand is, I bought it like 3 years ago. I could probably get away with installing lighter tension springs, but I am opting to install a prop rod anyways. It's just something I want to do, not really sure why. Probably because it gives me something to engineer and install. I've heard of some light tension springs that still are too strong. Maybe it's the manufacturer of the springs???

I don't have the hood latch either, just pins.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I just use the light tension springs when I go to car shows and then take them off when I leave. My hood is latched. No problems and have been doing this for years now.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

I looked around on lowe's and home depot sites. Gonna get two turnbuckles so that they can easily be installed and removed. Hook on one side with a loop on the other and can be adjusted in length. Should only be $5/piece
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FoMoJoe
I looked around on lowe's and home depot sites. Gonna get two turnbuckles so that they can easily be installed and removed. Hook on one side with a loop on the other and can be adjusted in length. Should only be $5/piece
Way to go!!!

Quick Reply: Fiber glass hood prop ideas in place of springs