Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ford 9 or 8.8? Input Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Default Ford 9 or 8.8? Input Needed

Ok guys, my indecision has me requesting some input from you guys.

I have a 65 Mustang with a mild 306/T-5 combination. I am in need of a rear axle.

What I have:
Versailles 9 housing and 28 spline axles, no center section.

Option 1:
Should I stick with this and get a center section, posi, gears, etc. I also have North Racecars sn95 brackets and rotors. I figure I would need at least $500 to get this thing together not really accounting for any kind of posi or locker. Keeping the 28 spline axles of course.

Option 2:
Explorer 8.8. A local junkyard sells complete rear axles for $100 no matter what they are out of and I have spotted several Explorers. I would need to have a buddy of mine shorten one side of the housing and pick up a spare shorter axle from the same yard for about $20. I would get 3.73 geras, posi, disc brakes, and a hefty weight reduction. I can sell the 9 and probably end up making some money for an aluminum cover/girdle.

Everything points to the 8.8 but I wanted your input on this.

Fred
Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

What I have:
Option 1:
Should I stick with this and get a center section, posi, gears, etc. I also have North Racecars sn95 brackets and rotors. I figure I would need at least $500 to get this thing together not really accounting for any kind of posi or locker. Keeping the 28 spline axles of course.
Not true. You can get a complete, ready to install 9" Traction-Lok center section with your choice of gears for $549.

Option 2:
Explorer 8.8. A local junkyard sells complete rear axles for $100 no matter what they are out of and I have spotted several Explorers. I would need to have a buddy of mine shorten one side of the housing and pick up a spare shorter axle from the same yard for about $20. I would get 3.73 gears, posi, disc brakes, and a hefty weight reduction. I can sell the 9 and probably end up making some money for an aluminum cover/girdle.
Lotta work in this option.

Versailles had disc brakes. These are gone? You don't really need rear discs on these cars on the street, of course.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
What I have:
Option 1:

Not true. You can get a complete, ready to install 9" Traction-Lok center section with your choice of gears for $549.

[/B]
Source?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I would run a 9 inch just because there is no c clips that's the weak link in any rear end.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

I like the ease at which you can change up the gear set in an 8 or 9 inch rear end..There are also lots of used parts available for 9 inch rearends..Trucks are a great source for lower gears....
Old 12-27-2010, 04:45 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would keep the Versailles rear end. I got a rebuilt center section with traction lock and my choice of gears for about 600 dollars with shipping. I went with 3.50 gears. I think the Ebay seller was Rmustang or RUmustang.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 12-27-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

The Versailles is about the worst factory disc brake rear end that was made, parts are expensive, and the brakes are not very good, so you know my opinion. I would ditch the Versailles discs, convert it to drum and go from there. You will end up with a heavy duty big bearing 9" that will be easy to change gears in. Get a junkyard center section and be on the road. You can always install a posi and aftermarket discs later on.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I love the 9 inch a lot of drag racers and off road use one so getting a used but good ring and pinion or full 3rd member can be had kinda cheap.Look on racingjunk.com you might find what your looking for.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:11 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Your right about that. The Versailles brakes are kinda funky and definitely could be better. My rear discs work farily well, but the parking brake has to be adjusted every 6-12 months. With them and the Granada front brakes, my car stops really well, better than I expected.

What drum brake setup is easy to swap over to it? I may be interested in doing that, if I have to redo the rear brakes later. I'm curious which cars have easy to get parts.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 12-29-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I guess a JY center section it will be until I can get a locker and the desired gears.

I pretty much already have most of the stuff to do a sn95 rear disc set-up on the 9, short of the calipers.

Anyone have any advice on what to look under for a 28 spline center section in the junkyard? I believe most trucks and Broncos came with 31 spline or am I mistaken?

Fred

Quick Reply: Ford 9 or 8.8? Input Needed