Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 289 engine rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 PM
67stang12

Default 1967 289 engine rebuild advice

Okay i am a new kid on here trying to figure things out. I have a 1967 musang 289 all original except paint and i want to rebuild the 289. This is for my graduation present. I have recently found out that my cam is worn and i have a flat spot ... plus the 2 barrel carb is abut shot. I already have an edelbrock performer intake. I plan on putting in edelbrock stuff along with the overhaul kit. I will put and edelbrock performer plus cam and lifters. Also a 500 cfm carb... is this a good choice. I am going to have the heads redone but they will be back to stock because of money and i cant afford new ones. Also i hooker headers will be going on. If anyone could help and give me inputs on this idea it would be greatly appreciated!

I want to keep it just a little stock with a little more pep. So the edelbrock cam from what i have led does that.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Fella near here did a 67 289 with few mods, got 321 hp on the dyno.

Edelbrock Performer Plus intake
Edelbrock 600 cfm carb
289HP air cleaner
C9OZ-6250-C hydraulic HiPo camshaft
Stock heads, with
-screw in studs
-port-matched to the headers
Stock distributor advance curved to BOSS 302 specs

That's it. Otherwise stone-stock. A real low-buck screamer. He even did the porting himself. Well, I did one, and he did the other seven to match it. Took maybe 2-3 hours. I can do it in 2.

Here's how:
289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

In your position I'd use 289HP exhaust manifolds rather than headers. You lose a little top end, but gain a setup a lot easier to live with.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-28-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 PM
67stang12

Thanks I will definately look into getting those 289hp manifolds
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM
67stang12

Thanks I will definately look into getting those 289hp manifolds. Do you think the 600 carb would be t big though or not as good of throttle response as the 500
Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67stang12
Thanks I will definately look into getting those 289hp manifolds. Do you think the 600 carb would be t big though or not as good of throttle response as the 500
With a stock cam (ew) 500, with upgrade cam, 600.

Unless you do the port-matching though, most of it's a waste of time and money.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Fella near here did a 67 289 with few mods, got 321 hp on the dyno.

Edelbrock Performer Plus intake
Edelbrock 600 cfm carb
289HP air cleaner
C9OZ-6250-C hydraulic HiPo camshaft
Stock heads, with
-screw in studs
-port-matched to the headers
Stock distributor advance curved to BOSS 302 specs

That's it. Otherwise stone-stock. A real low-buck screamer. He even did the porting himself. Well, I did one, and he did the other seven to match it. Took maybe 2-3 hours. I can do it in 2.

Here's how:
289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

In your position I'd use 289HP exhaust manifolds rather than headers. You lose a little top end, but gain a setup a lot easier to live with.
Thanks...you helped me out too!

Will those 289 HiPo reproduction manifolds do?

No need for performance heads?

And how much $ are we talking here?

Last edited by Galactusz; 12-29-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Since the core support bungs are not there inside the repros, I'd say they were better than OEM.

Depends on the "need". Straight out of the box, well-designed aftermarket heads will be superior. If your OEM heads are shot, by the time you get hardened seats, new valves, screw-in studs, guides, and port-matching, you're getting into "new head" territory, unless you can do at least some of the work yourself. But yeah, if the magazines ever showed how easy it is to dramatically improve stock heads, their advertisers would scream murder, because head sales would plummet.

At one time, magazines had a lot of "how to" articles. Now it's mostly "how to bolt-on our advertisers' stuff".

Under $300 for the manifolds. Even relatively cheap headers will cost $150 or more.

The head upgrade will cost you about $50 for the gaskets to R&R the heads, plus the time to do that, and 2-3 hours to clean up the exhaust ports. No need to do the intakes unless there is some nasty casting defect discovered.

Stock heads can be improved a LOT. Back in the day, Crane sold "Fireball" heads. They used replacement 289HP heads (later, they switched to 302 4V heads), and ported the daylights out of them, mostly on the exhaust side. The resulting hole was so big they required special "Fireball" headers.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-29-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I agree with 2+2GT.

Stick with the Ford cam, or a slightly more aggressive Comp Cams grind. I'm not a fan of Edelbrock's cam grinds. I've heard a lot of people complain about the Performer Plus being rather tame.

I'd rather spend $300 on hipo manifolds than $150 on crappy headers. The manifolds won't leak, will be quieter, will cut down on engine bay temp, and won't have clearance issues. If you get headers, get good ones that will fit properly and will actually last. FPA, Doug's, etc. The catch is that they're usually $600+.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Since the core support bungs are not there inside the repros, I'd say they were better than OEM.

Depends on the "need". Straight out of the box, well-designed aftermarket heads will be superior. If your OEM heads are shot, by the time you get hardened seats, new valves, screw-in studs, guides, and port-matching, you're getting into "new head" territory, unless you can do at least some of the work yourself. But yeah, if the magazines ever showed how easy it is to dramatically improve stock heads, their advertisers would scream murder, because head sales would plummet.

At one time, magazines had a lot of "how to" articles. Now it's mostly "how to bolt-on our advertisers' stuff".

Under $300 for the manifolds. Even relatively cheap headers will cost $150 or more.

The head upgrade will cost you about $50 for the gaskets to R&R the heads, plus the time to do that, and 2-3 hours to clean up the exhaust ports. No need to do the intakes unless there is some nasty casting defect discovered.

Stock heads can be improved a LOT. Back in the day, Crane sold "Fireball" heads. They used replacement 289HP heads (later, they switched to 302 4V heads), and ported the daylights out of them, mostly on the exhaust side. The resulting hole was so big they required special "Fireball" headers.

Wow...that's awesome...man...I'm going to do everything you suggested...I owe you BIG time!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Starfury
I agree with 2+2GT.

Stick with the Ford cam, or a slightly more aggressive Comp Cams grind. I'm not a fan of Edelbrock's cam grinds. I've heard a lot of people complain about the Performer Plus being rather tame.

I'd rather spend $300 on hipo manifolds than $150 on crappy headers. The manifolds won't leak, will be quieter, will cut down on engine bay temp, and won't have clearance issues. If you get headers, get good ones that will fit properly and will actually last. FPA, Doug's, etc. The catch is that they're usually $600+.
Yeah, I'm getting these...the cheapest priced ones I've seen so far...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-67...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: 1967 289 engine rebuild advice