Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pertronix / MSD question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Default Pertronix / MSD question

My car is in desperate need of an ignition upgrade. I have a 289 with the factory distributor. Im a little confused with the choices available and I've even come across people stating that getting both is overkill.

so what should i be getting? Ignitor 1,2or 3 with/or an MSD 6AL?

what are you guys running?

Thanks
Rolando
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!!! Keep your points distributor, and use it to trigger an MSD style capacitive discharge (CD) ignition system. With the points being used as a trigger only now, they will last forever, and will not need adjustment. You will have a far bigger spark that a Pertronix can ever deliver, and in the event that the MSD ever goes bad, you can switch a couple or wires and get home on points power alone. I have seven vehicles using points triggered MSD's and they perform flawlessly including high RPM blasts.

I don't know where the whole myth about points being bad came from, but older Mustangs are full of mechanical sub-assemblies like brakes, steering, carbs and valve trains that having moving parts. Are we going to have to convert everything to electronics because some magazine writer said points were antiquated?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Points are antiquated because electronic ignition is a far superior form of spark control. Electronics give you variable dwell control, better timing control, and no wear parts. Points are degrading from the instant you fire the car up, and the more they degrade, the more the spark timing is affected.

Of course this doesn't apply to a points-triggered CD system, but points systems alone are not ideal. Yes, they work, but that doesn't mean they should still be used.

I'm going to throw a third recommendation out there. Consider an MSD points-replacement unit. I just got the new MSD product catalog at work, and apparently they have a one-wire multi-spark points replacement system now available for Ford V8's. Pertronix aren't exactly known for their superb reliability, but I've rarely heard of a faulty MSD component. Give the MSD a shot and see how it works.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I prefer Pertronix to MSD. I'm not really a fan of MSD and do not like ignition boxes either. Thats just my opinion.

I know alot of people that run the Ignitor that replaces the points and retains the stock distributor. I have not heard them talk about any issues. I have a Pertonix billet distributor in my car.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 12-31-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 AM
texas67coupe

if you search my threads, I recently had a bad experience with my pertronix ingnitor 1 and msd 6al combo. I had the key left in the run position after car stalled while warming up. I didn't realize it stalled and when I went back to the car it wouldn't start. So in the end, I had to replace the ingitor 1, upgraded it to an ignitor 3, replaced the blaster 2 coil as it was fried, and removed the msd 6al as it was fried. So, now I have the pertronix 3 and msd blaster 2 coil and it is running like a champ. Starts first turn no matter the temperature. Don't think I will be putting the 6al back in as the ignitor 3 has a built in rev limiter and increases spark the same way the msd box does.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The Ignitor 3 doesn't do the same thing the 6AL does. The 6AL is a capacitive discharge system, giving you two or three full strength, high energy sparks before 3k rpm. There is no way an Ignitor module is going to give you 460V on the primary side for every spark.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 AM
texas67coupe

I stand corrected: multi-spark vs. capacitive discharge. You are correct in the amount of voltage that will be created, but what engine needs 460V? All I can say is having had both in my car, I can say that the Pertronix 3 is running just as well with the high output coil alone as it was with the MSD 6al. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

The newer pertronix 2 and 3 have a safety for not burning the coil when youleave the key in the ignition. Another advantage you don't have in points. A lot of things worth that Money. I found increased gas mileage already with just using them. If you are worried about getting stuck then why not throw the old set of points in the trunk. But you can shove half a carload of spare parts in there for that matter. For the voltage discussion this is only the primary side which effects higher secondary spark output. With the higher voltage you can increase the spark gap by a bit which allows you to run a tad leaner. Thus again helps reliable spark or fuel economy depending on gap size. The msd 6 al or pertronix 3 will give you a rev limited as well which I like with my engine as I easily get carried away in first
Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Forgot to mention. When points are wearing then this causes the spark to advance. When you are running the typical 8 degrees and have loads to spare at full advance this is not an issue when you regularly adjust them as in ford books specified. Every 1500 miles? With ignition set to just before pinging I wouldn't trust any points system. Further the points give a crap signal above 4500 rpm. You can see that with a motor tester (osci). At 5000 it's nearly flatlined. Mechanics are useless here unless you get a dual point or electronic conversion. I think from what I remember your engine is more than capable past 5000. So for that reason alone I'd use a pert2 or 3. Or that msd module if you feel like it

Last edited by kalli; 12-31-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

And another thing that I never verified with a mustang since I don't have an oscilloscope anymore. But when I worked at Opel the old distributors have humps like the ford distributors. For opening the points. They do wear as well up to a point that you can't get a reliable dwell anymore. And you'll find that one cylinder sparks at 6 degrees and the next at 10 degrees. As the humps wear unevenly. As soon as the points are opening the spark will fly and this is regulated by those humps. Well you can say I don't like point systems. Works for stock engine when maintained properly. Anything else forget it

Quick Reply: Pertronix / MSD question