Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

DIY bump steer kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default DIY bump steer kit

http://www.globalwest.net/adj43.html

Really? Over 200$ for a tie rod, heim joint, and a couple nuts and bolts? Anybody ever made there own? If you drill out the spindle so a traditional grade 8 bolt will fit, I would think you could make your own for about $30.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 PM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

You could build one exactly like you describe, but you first have to have the fixtures to measure bump steer.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Hmm maybe I dont understand...I thought bumpsteer was created when on our mustangs when they are lowered making the tie rod almost level with the ground. If we just put some sort of spacer in there to make the tierod angle down again it should correct bump steer. I was just going to make something that would drop it down 2 inches so the the tie rod angles down again. should make an improvement.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

from what I've read bumpsteer is created when the angle of the lower control arm does not match the angle of the tie rod. As the wheel moves up and down on the lower control arm radius, the different radius of the tie rod pivots the spindle creating bump steer. By matching the LCA and tie rod angles, you eliminate the conflicting angles. hope I got that right??!! happy new year!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
from what I've read bumpsteer is created when the angle of the lower control arm does not match the angle of the tie rod. As the wheel moves up and down on the lower control arm radius, the different radius of the tie rod pivots the spindle creating bump steer. By matching the LCA and tie rod angles, you eliminate the conflicting angles. hope I got that right??!! happy new year!
You sir are correct. Its not the angle that's the issue its the pivot points being different.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
Hmm maybe I dont understand...I thought bumpsteer was created when on our mustangs when they are lowered making the tie rod almost level with the ground. If we just put some sort of spacer in there to make the tierod angle down again it should correct bump steer. I was just going to make something that would drop it down 2 inches so the the tie rod angles down again. should make an improvement.

All cars have some amount of bumpsteer from the factory. Your Mustang came from the factory with bumpsteer. Lowering it or changing to a rack & pinion steering system can amplify the amount of bump steer that a car has. The spacer kits that are sold are made to allow adjustment of the outer tie rod ends, but bump steer involves soooo much more than that. To completely remove it from some cars, modifications to the drag link, spindles, pitman arm, and idler arm are needed, as well as some sort of measuring device to measure bump steer at different amounts of suspension travel.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

So I can probably use an angle finder on my tie rod and match it with the lower control arm angle and get it pretty close. I dont think I would want to get rid of the taper in the spindle. I think without it being a perfectly tight fit it could cause some failure. Ill see if I can find something to make a kit.

I know $200 or so doesnt seem like much. I just have a lot of fun doing the research and trying to build things myself. The coil over front suspension im building has been a blast. And when Im done Ill have a kit which I think is better built than some of the $2500 kits available and Im only out about $600.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I wonder if the pinto tie rod taper is much different.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...Heim,3333.html

Fred
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I found this

http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc....D50080&eq=&Tp=
Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

The kits that are pictured will all work, but they are not going to totally eliminate the bump steer. The only way to eliminate it is to set up a fixture to measure how much you have, and then start modifying parts until it is fixed. Does it matter on a street car, NO.

Quick Reply: DIY bump steer kit