Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Optimus Prime - The '68 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Phase 3 - The Doors and Door Jams

Ladies and Gentlemen, from a suburb garage in California... The Doors!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
MustangFTW

how the oribital sander treating you? i had a similar one and it just couldnt do the job very well, i had to use a variable speed orbital sander, the Rigid brand, worked like a charm. but of course its expensive and only reason i used it was because my dad already had it.

gotta love harbor freight though they got some amazing prices. picked up a HVLP paint sprayer for 40$ looks quality built too.

good luck on the car, i feel ya for the trips for spray paint, i went at least 4 times lol.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW

how's the oribital sander treating you?
Great! with these 5 inch 60 grit sand paper discs from LOWE's ($17.00 for a pack of 15) my cheap Harbor Freight random orbital sander kicks @ss. It's just weak enough not to snap my small bone wrists as it alters direction, and strong enough to take the paint off. You gotta let the tool do the work. I think RPMs are the key, so don't put 200 lbs of pressure on the darn thing, let it spin. When faced with multiple coats what I do is take the first coat off the entire piece, then go back and take the second coat off, rinse, lather, repeat, lol, instead of digging in too deep and trying to take all the coats off at once. It allows for better detective work also, to see what lurks beneath.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Anatomy of the Mustang Door

well here we go some more boring detail that must be done, all of you thinking, come on man really you're gonna show us every little part, those of you thinking that, ask yourself what happens when you forget to put the "little" spark plugs back in - nothing!

removing the armrest pads, that's not a screw driver it's a socket on the end, I thought it would have been a phillips screw but nope

Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default More things to come off the doors

Still trying to get the door panels off, but first the inside door handle, and the window handle had to come off. Easy jobs but still had to be done.

Note: If possible I put the screws / bolts back into their original locations instead of zip loc bags or cardboard boxes, makes re assembly that much easier.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Door Panel Is Off

Finally the door panel is off, let's see what lurks under it?

Right away I notice the black ugly sticky hardened goop that will have to come off. Question is how will I do that?

Notice I don't gorilla anything, although I am making a promise to myself that this baby will get all BRAND NEW interior, (and I hope you help me keep that promise when I try to cheap out, and oh I will try, lol) nothing is just ripped off or destroyed, who knows someone may want those pieces, and or I may use them for something like templates, or vinyl paint practice, etc. Good idea to keep everything around in as good of a condition as you can, it's also good practice for removing the new pieces later and reinstalling them. You want to practice good habits. Otherwise installation becomes no longer the reversal of uninstallation.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I love this post, keep it up as you make progress.

I need to start on my car, it runs and drives now so paint and assembly is all that's left.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

black goop is a pita to remove. use a paint scraper and some sort of solvent to get it off there. you really don't need to remove it unless you plan on painting that area again. it's all covered up anyways so it doesn't really matter.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
the plethora of institutional knowledge on this forum is astounding - lol
What can I say...I'm a geek...I also happen to collect action-figures...lol.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan

I love this post, keep it up as you make progress.
Thank you, posts like this keep me going, this project is kicking my butt.

Quick Reply: Optimus Prime - The '68 Coupe