Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Optimus Prime - The '68 Coupe

Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default One Man Wrecking Crew

well to do things right the doors had to come off, here's how I did it alone, using nothing but some love juice, a 1/2 inch socket, and a ratchet... oh yeah a jack and a block of wood (optional)

by the way I bought this jack at COSTCO and I love it, it is awesome low and sturdy

Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Um ok that's nice

Um ok that's nice, but how do we know you did the other side? And can we see that jack trick again.

... for crying out loud!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Door Weatherstripping

There is sure a lot of bits on these doors. Some used bits will find their way back on the doors, others such as the weatherstripping will get replace with brand new bits.

Here I remove the weatherstrip and the door window rear upper seal, (say that ten times fast!) lol

I keep all the small parts even if they are going to be replaced with new ones just so I know what to order later.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Few more things

OK, a few more things, removed the screws from the door latch and just shoved it inside the door. Then I had to cut the rubber door bumpers off using a box cutter after trying to pry them out with a flat screw driver to no avail, they are just too brittle and stubborn to come out. After that it was time to go to town with a 4 inch wire wheel on my cheapo angle grinder.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Haywired

Looks like you are doing the job right!

On a side note you may want turn the doors long ways in the stand. you may put some dents in the doorskin with it facing the way you have it. Dont ask how I know!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

These guides are great gregski! Keep them up! This is a great resource for others!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Haywired

On a side note you may want turn the doors long ways in the stand. you may put some dents in the doorskin with it facing the way you have it...
That's the kind of advice I am looking for, thank you, will do can.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Door Handle Off

Tired of sanding around the door handles I decided it was time for them to come off. Each door handle was held on by a deceivingly long phillips screw and a 3/8 nut inside the door. A little WD40 on the cotter pin and the handle was off, oh yeah and yes i lost the cotter pin that held the rod to the handle, when it went flying accross the driveway in the dark, no worries you usually wanna replace cotter pins anyway (at least that's what keep telling myself).

Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Door Vent Window Out

Next was the door vent window, weren't those the coolest back in the day, I don't think modern single piece door windows are an improvement at all. They are cheaper to make though, and I'm sure that's what matters most.

This piece was held on by two 1/2 inch bolts and two 1/2 inch nuts. Of course two of the three fasteners came right out and the third gave me a hard time by spinning. I had to use some vice grips on the back half round type a nut to get it loose. The fourth fastener (not shown in the photo) is towards the bottom of the door behind a round rubber grommet.

I also ended up using an allen wrench to remove the studs which the nuts sat on in order to slide the contraption out of the door shell. Well put together although I got a sense I was building a ship in a bottle sorta speak.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Space For Rent

Well since the passenger door had no window in it, I didn't have anything to take out, so I am saving this space for when I remove it from the other side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optimus Prime - The '68 Coupe