Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Homebuilt coilover system

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 001mustang
Will you keep rubber LCA bushings to allow LCA to follow strut rod arc?
How do the rubber bushings allow the LCA to follow strut rod arc? Thats one of the reasons for not using them and installing the roller bearings. The roller bearings have sperical bearings which allow for more side movement without binding.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
How do the rubber bushings allow the LCA to follow strut rod arc? Thats one of the reasons for not using them and installing the roller bearings. The roller bearings have sperical bearings which allow for more side movement without binding.
That answers my question. Spherical bearings...sounds good.

Didn't a lot of people install poly LCA bushings? Wouldn't they stress strut rod? Could that be a cause of the reported strut rod failures?
Perhaps some well designed poly strut bushings took the fall when poly LCA bushings were the criminal???

I kept my poly strut rod bushings because I could move strut rod through full range of motion by hand. I have rubber LCA bushings.

Sorry off topic. Your system looks light years ahead of OEM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
482supersnake

Why not use a AFCO lower control arm mount that already has the shock mount welded on? http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...ct_kits-lowers . Looks Great and i agree this is the way to go. Scott
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 PM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

it amazes me, some of the talent on this board...... pretty sick
Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 482supersnake
Why not use a AFCO lower control arm mount that already has the shock mount welded on? http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...ct_kits-lowers . Looks Great and i agree this is the way to go. Scott
I did consider this intially but if you look at the design of the original LCA it is not a straight line. Also How would you attach the sway bar to the afco? also the ball joint would set at the wrong angle on the afco, probably run into a binding issue. Just seemed really easy to make a bolt on mount.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:48 AM
482supersnake

If you look at the Ron Morris kit that is all it is. There is a member on pro-touring.com who has a Falcon that is running these same type lower arms. Scott
Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 482supersnake
If you look at the Ron Morris kit that is all it is. There is a member on pro-touring.com who has a Falcon that is running these same type lower arms. Scott
I saw that and considered it. I dont like the sway bar mount for the ron morris kit.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376

With all the geometry that goes into a suspension system PLUS the strength that each component must have, I don't know if I would ever try piecing/fabricating something together myself.
I hear you, but there are plenty of failed calculated mistakes out there from teams of engineers, we just don't hear about them, and yes the proof is in the pudding. I am in eZ's corner cheering for him every step of the way, and hope he pulls it off, and if he wants to maybe makes a buck along the way for selling his parts to us.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ

Yea ill be using 220v at my neighbors shop.
So you're using MIG and not TIG?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by suicide67

it amazes me, some of the talent on this board...... pretty sick
no doubt man, good stuff is in the house

Quick Reply: Homebuilt coilover system