Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Homebuilt coilover system

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Critics man...critics...I should of just kept my car stock...LOL...On a fun note I put a beatin on a c5 from a dig this weekend at the beach. good times
Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
buening

Hows the setup working for you so far?

Got a question for ya eZ, do you have a pic or measurement of the clearance between your coilover spring and the UCA tube? Full droop would likely create the smallest clearance. I notice the UB Machine UCA tubes have more of a tapered section and come to a point at the ball joint, whereas many of the aftermarket mustang coilover kits seem only taper a small length and would have more clearance to the coils.

I'm midway through my design and I think I've settled with using Koni 30 series (KON30-6325) coilovers for mine. They are $160 a piece plus the $60 for the threaded coil retainers from Summitt, a bit more than QA1's but are likely a better shock. At first I bought a single Bilstein SN B46-DTA5 to test out and use for measuring (got it for a song), which are similar to what are used on Street or Track's coilover kit but those have special valving. Upon receipt I found that they were dummy shocks and that I have to order valving, shock oil (then assemble the shock), a special nitrogen inflator tool ($100+), AND get a nitrogen tank to inflate the shocks and top off whenever needed. Too much nickle and diming for me

For the LCAs, I'll probably be modifying the stock ones similar to Opentrackers but will likely use a Johnny Joint, the same as TCP uses on their lower arms.

How is that clevis holding up? I recently came across the CorteX front suspension page and low and behold they are using a clevis for the rear leg of the lower A-arm

http://www.cortexracing.com/store/su...vintage-front/

Last edited by buening; 12-21-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

Part two of my favorite thread. Im curiouse how the Johny Joint mod looks if you dont mid a few pictures. Also what is the part number on the coil retainers?

As far as the clevis issue does the shortened rod length above reduce moment at this connection? I dont know but seems like it would. Keep us posted on your build. Do you plan to use a clevis?

Last edited by jgemperline; 12-22-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Took the horse beating out. Just did not seem right. happy holidays
Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
buening

Originally Posted by jgemperline
Part two of my favorite thread. Im curiouse how the Johny Joint mod looks if you dont mid a few pictures. Also what is the part number on the coil retainers?

As far as the clevis issue does the shortened rod length above reduce moment at this connection? I dont know but seems like it would. Keep us posted on your build. Do you plan to use a clevis?
I'll start my own thread when I dig into the install, but nothing has been done other then look into the option of a johnny joint. Here is a pic of the TCP version, which actually looks more like a Ballistic joint with the threaded retainers instead of the washer/snap ring:

Ballistic joint:

Wasn't trying to be a dead horse with the clevis, and no I plan on doing similar to what Ochohill did with his strut rod (matching similar to what Street or Track does with theirs)

Last edited by buening; 12-22-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

I can't wait. I have seen some of your work on the web and I'm a fan! No worry about the clevis. I thought I was doing the beating, just thought the animation thing was to much for the holidays. And my edit was a bad joke only i got i need to say less in my posts some time. It was a real question. I would love to see a calculated loads on this... There I go again. Sorry. Good luck I'll be watching. Thanks for the pics.

Last edited by jgemperline; 12-22-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jgemperline
As long as the force line from the coilover intersects a line drawn between the rotational centers of the ball joint and the lateral arm's chassis side pickup, there won't be any bending moment applied to the clevis due to the car's corner weight or from vertical suspension forces and force variations. You'd want this geometry to remain essentially true for any suspension position over its bump/rebound travel, I think particularly within the bump travel portion.

Norm
Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
As long as the force line from the coilover intersects a line drawn between the rotational centers of the ball joint and the lateral arm's chassis side pickup, there won't be any bending moment applied to the clevis due to the car's corner weight or from vertical suspension forces and force variations. You'd want this geometry to remain essentially true for any suspension position over its bump/rebound travel, I think particularly within the bump travel portion.

Norm
Although not nearly as critical, the sway bar too.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
pappakeeno

Originally Posted by eZ
Yes I believe its just rounded for ease of measurement. Im thinking of buying an alignment tool but Im getting a bit tired of working/welding/building/designing/ I really need to go for a drive and put a smile on my face.

If anybody wants to buy the shock mounts hit me up. They look much better TIG welded. Ill take more pictures. But probably $150 for the mounts w/mounting hardware and aluminum spacer only because its a full day of work for me.
Hi.
Realy like this thread, It`s just what I want to do with my car.
I`m interested in the shock mounts and wonder if you would like to fabricate some for me?
/Magnus
Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Buening...Hey man glad your giving it a go. I can post a pic for you when I get back from the gym. The motor is out of my car right now....it went kaboom. So the suspension is at full hang right now wich will give you a good idea. As far as the johnny joints I remember ther ebeing a problem with them size etc. I still have 2 johnny joints sitting in my tool box. I do know their advertised measurements were wrong. Im sure they fixed that problem.

Magnus. Let me see if I can find the drawings and have some made for you. either way I can get it done.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm
LOL..Ive read this 5 times and still dont get it. A drawing maybe for us ruhtards?

Quick Reply: Homebuilt coilover system