Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

TAGS GOT HERE! GOD BLESS NJ DMV!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Blackjokr

Default TAGS GOT HERE! GOD BLESS NJ DMV!!

Cripes! After waiting 4 weeks the tags got here..FINALLY! Gotta love that NJ DMV! Anyway, I raced out, put the tags on the new '68 and took that car out for a nice ride!! I was not sure what it was capable of, but I actually spun the tires on the automatic 289. I was surprised. It ran SWEET!! The only electrical items that are not working are:

Dome light: I'll check the bulb but it seemed ok at first glance.
Hood light: The guy disconnected it, but the blinkers in the hood work!
Trunk light: Will have ot investigate.
Radio needs replacement.: They put in one of those cheesy radios with the running Pony's on it. I'd like to replace it with somethign a bit nicer, perhaps somethign with a single CD player. Any recommendations or things to look out for?

And I have to say I am SO IMPRESSED with all of the talented peeps out there. You guys know your stuff. I am extremely envious of all of you as I can barely change the oil. Thanks again!

- Lou

[IMG]local://upfiles/19137/BAB662D81BB8457A825CD35D40BFFDD4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Blackjokr

Default RE: TAGS GOT HERE! GOD BLESS NJ DMV!!

Oh yes, and I assume that silver rollup door is NOT original. How can I tell how much of thta interior is the "real deal"?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:21 AM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

WOW! That took forever! My vanity plates only took about 7 business days. Anyway, glad you finally got em. That shot looks good??? I was wondering what the console looked like installed, I have/had a chance to by one for around 100 bucks, but wasn't sure how it would look/go in. Thanks for the pic.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:27 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

Tires will spin easily on any of these cars. I barely hold traction on dry pavement, let alone stick to the road when its wet.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ivanr77

Tires will spin easily on any of these cars. I barely hold traction on dry pavement, let alone stick to the road when its wet.
Bragger......
Old 08-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blackjokr

...I assume that silver rollup door is NOT original. How can I tell how much of thta interior is the "real deal"?
By that, do you mean it's an obvious reproduction piece or that you don't think the console came with such a thing?

If it's the later - you'll be pleased to hear that silver roll-up door IS original. The 67/68 floor consoles did indeed come with them. Don't dare rip it out! Those consoles are quite desirable. But you'll find that cheesy cassette player is cheesy! Most of us have had some experiences with them (mostly bad experiences!). But the deal is, they're made to fit the original AM radio opening. In a 65/66 car, it's a cardinal sin to cut the metal dash for a DIN-type stereo. It's not quite as frowned upon in the 67/68 cars because if you cut the radio bezel, it can be replaced. A common solution is to leave the old AM in place and mount a CD player in the glove compartment.

To find out more, subscribe to Mustang Monthly and Mustang&Fords magazines. Also, you may want to visit your local Barnes&Noble bookstore... They usually have some large coffee table books on Mustangs that are chock-full of full-color pictures. Go to all the shows you can and take lots of photos. Educate yourself before you change much of anything. You may save yourself some serious headaches!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:50 PM
67_FASTBACK
1st Gear Member

no joke dude, all the weight's in the front of classic mustangs. they spin out a lot. i drove my car the other day, and turned left after a stop sign and span out and fishtailed it around the corner. it was sweet. i guess you either love it or hate it. btw, welcome to our family!