Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Another engine and tranny combo thread....

Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

The previous owner powdered coated the intake with a clear-ish color, it's got a tint to it, but I'll probably just leave it alone.

I think you are making a mistake....if you saw how purty my intake is..ups 2 u

I'm not sure on the ratio, I think it's either 1.6 or 1.7.

ratio is marked on mine.

Pushrods are something I need to pick out as well.
Get em later...not ready yet.

What kind of chromemoly push rods should I get.
One piece 5/16" chrome moly is purty an will last long time.

Also, any specific guide plates I need or can I just get generic brand?
Any kind...verify head does not have built in guide.

I've got a Holley 600 CFM as well, should I go with the motorcraft or Holley? The one in best condition...easy to switch back and forth.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge (heck you're teaching me half this stuff ) but what do you mean by VC and RR? hill billy for Roller Rocker Arm and Valve Cover.

I'm sure I could splurge a little more on linked hydralic lifters, that's just the cheapest one we found.

ups 2 u ....don't understand the need though

I'm assuming the cam is out of a 302 HO motor, where can I find specs for that? Is there a way I can measure it myself without a specialty tool?

by all means measure a used cam...u can use cheapo china tools to measure...o...i forgot...ur papa likes da gud stuff. ul need a mag base dial indicator w/ long arm and a $10 degree wheel.

i'm crazy but i'd just install a $130 flat tappet cam and $40 lifters.

I'll probably go with those heads then if you think they're a good idea. I'll measure the port when I get home. And the DIY head porting sounds like a good idea, I just took a look at it and I like the idea.

Be a weeny...don't over do...can always grind deeper...hard to put those ground bits back. Match intake ports to gasket to header gasket to rectangle shaped (please) headers. Port matching is bordering on overkill on mild engine build.

good idea for me ...others will hate it...ups 2 u. it will definitely out kick most (not all) 289's...i'll bet on that.

And finally, should I swap to a mild cam? Would it be worthwhile over this 302 roller?

don't know ur cam spec...can't answer...if u do choose roller route please triple check everything.

best et cam w/ your hardware will be mild...i'm not opposed to loosing a lil performance to gain a little idle lope.

Thanks for all your help mustang001, this is helping me cover every little detail so I don't miss them. And I'm learning so much! [/QUOTE]

There are more details...must be careful.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Cam specs, what's on the one lobe of the cam piece of cardboard or is it chipped?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Nice.
I didn't see duration at pretty standard 0.05" lift.
Makes it hard when comparing to other cams.
Good to see lift.

For me, it's easier to measure w/ dial indicator and degree wheel to get actual timing at 0.006", 0.05" and to verify max lift.

There is a chance a used cam has been reground...slight..but still a chance.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Hightower,

Here that sound? That is a scion passing you.

You are shooting yourself in the foot. 001 is telling what toe to aim for.

He is not looking at the pictures. He is in some cases giving you wrong advice.

VC is valve cover. RR is roller rocker.

You have pedestal mount rockers. You know this. What I don't see is the pedestals. The pictures show a 5/16" bolt. No way in hell that is a stud. Assuming you rockers have a hole for a 5/16" bolt, you do not need hardened pushrods and guideplates. Do not buy the pushrods now. Wait until the engine is assembled. Also, your rockers have an adjustment on the pushrod. I did a quick search and couldn't find those rockers. You need to find the ratio for those rockers. Look for a part number or name on them. If you don't have pedestals, you will need to find some. I am going to assume that adjustment at the pushrod is in lieu of shimming the pedestals to get the correct height. That's nice because shimming pedestal style rockers sucks.

Back to the heads:

what casting are they? Most if not all engine builders feel that many stock 351 heads aren't adequate for a 302 mild performance engine let alone a 351.
Here is what I want you to do all on your own.

find the casting number on the heads
get the specifications for those heads, valve size, combustion chamber volume, runner size, spring height, spring rate
find a part number on the pistons
find the specifications for those pistons, dome dish flat and how many cc's
look for a part number on the cam
find specifications for the cam
if you already have new head gaskets, get a part number find the specs
find the part number for the old pistons, you need to know the old bore size

Do not worry about the carb. You have bigger problems right now.

Find this info, bring it back here. Otherwise, there is no helping you.

Last edited by OCHOHILL; 03-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

sorry high tower.

your engine will be slow in comparison to others.

i have low standards.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 001mustang
sorry high tower.

your engine will be slow in comparison to others.

i have low standards.
Your words.

Frankly I'm not brave enough to spin it over 5000 even though it was dynoed at 6500rpm.
Your words.

the mild cam will be much easier to launch at 1000 rpms.
your words.

Do you suppose Hightower will drive his car as you drive yours?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Woah, my head just exploded. So much commotion. Ok, I'll get the specs for the heads, pistons, and cam.

Mr. Velocity, that's a piece of cardboard, I saw that when I uploaded the pic and was afraid someone might worry about that. Thanks for the chart although it is a bit confusing. I'm assuming I should be able to find that camshaft part # on the cam?

Ochohill,
I appreciate the words and advice. Keep in mind mustang001 was just trying to help, even if you're right that he might be swaying it more towards his preferences, he's helped me a lot already with just learning new stuff. Regardless, I don't want to do this the wrong way. Again, I'm trying to make this build a bang-for-your-buck kinda thing. The stuff I picked up fit the bill in a lot of places. And there are things I can resell, so I'm more than open to planning things out and picking new parts.
As for the rockers, the pedestal mount is there, it's on the screw actually, I just left it on the screw in the picture.

Before I start discussing further options on heads, cam, etc. I'll take your advice and get the specs on everything first, then I'll post it here. Should be in a few hours.

Despite my idiocy, I shall prevail! Haha, seriously, I'm a newbie to engines so I appreciate you all bearing with me on this. I want to do this engine and my mustang right, so don't ever think I'm offended by or will reject corrections or advice. You guys are my lifeline pretty much. I can research till I drop dead but when I hear firsthand advice it helps me much more than reading an article. Thanks for everything guys!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Alright guys, I could locate any sort of ratio number on the lifters, am I just missing it or could they be unlabeled?
The heads are E7TE heads. I've heard these kinds of heads are off HO mustang engines. They seem like a good choice, idk though.
And lastly comes the cam, I was a little confused by the symbols on it, here's a picture I took. Hopefully you guys can read it and help me understand it:

On the left it read "1G6"
The top is a simple "2"
The bottom reads "CA" vertically
And it looks like it reads "FL" offset over the "CA"

What does this mean? Is this the E5ZE-AA cam?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Alright guys, I could locate any sort of ratio number on the lifters, am I just missing it or could they be unlabeled?
The heads are E7TE heads. I've heard these kinds of heads are off HO mustang engines. They seem like a good choice, idk though.
And lastly comes the cam, I was a little confused by the symbols on it, here's a picture I took. Hopefully you guys can read it and help me understand it:

On the left it read "1G6"
The top is a simple "2"
The bottom reads "CA" vertically
And it looks like it reads "FL" offset over the "CA"

What does this mean? Is this the E5ZE-AA cam?
Check on the core itself, I think I remember seeing it around the distributor gear. I don't have the stock HO cam anymore so I don't really remember.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Still nothing, I found on the core on the end opposite of the distributor gear a faint "7", that was all I found over the entire thing...
But the I looked at my stock 351w cam and there the numbers were plain in sight. What's up with this 302 cam?!
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about, the 302 cam is on the left, stock 351w on the right:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another engine and tranny combo thread....