Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rear window problems in coupe 67

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
guitarist88
2nd Gear Member

Default rear window problems in coupe 67

I have a 67 coupe and the small rear windows don't go up and down that easily I was wondering if there are any rebuild kits made to fix this? also the locks in the front
Old 08-23-2005, 11:05 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rear window problems in coupe 67

Either, your rollers are stuck, worn out, or gone, and your regulator needs greasing. I've heard if you replace the regulators it helps alot.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:39 AM
guitarist88
2nd Gear Member

I don't exactly know what the regulators are. how hard are they to replace?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:50 AM
KTM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: guitarist88

I don't exactly know what the regulators are. how hard are they to replace?
Regulator is that thig which connect window and handle together. There is gears and if they are dry your window will stuck. Remowe window and window regulator. Clean regulator so that there is no old grease and dirt and then grease gears and sliders. You might need new roller but they are cheap. Usually Mustang use plastic rollers, but older Fords did use metallic rollers. They were very good besauce you could allways clean and re-crease them. Plastic rollers will worn and then you need new ones.

It is not hard job, but it will take some time when you do it first time.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:16 PM
guitarist88
2nd Gear Member

This would be my first time. how would you suggest going about starting to take all of that out?
thanks for your help
Old 09-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Take off the handle first. Then take all the retaining screws off the cover, and pop it off carefully. You will see some heavy brown paper that is the rain guard. That that off carefully so you can use it again. Once you get that off, you will see the plastic rollers on the guide. Spray those plastic rollers with WD-40, then try to get as much of the old grease out of the guide as possible. Use some fresh grease to lubricate the plastic rollers and put some on the inside rails of the guide as well. A lot of Techs suggest using white lithium grease, but I prefer just plain old bearing grease. Lithium tewnds to dry out over a period of years. Also, apply a hefty amount of grease to the gears on the regulator. Put it all back together, and walaaahhhh. The window will roll up and down with ease. Now, this is assuming the plastic rollers are not damaged. If they are, you will need to replace those. Ford used steel rollers in the 50's and they never wore out. It is not very often that the regulator goes south, but if it is, then you will need to replace that as well.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:05 PM
0zenon0

Soaring, I am having a similar problem on my 66 convertible. The window will roll down part way and then "fall off" whatever it is attached to so that it just falls down. If it goes all the way down it is tuff to get ito ut as when I turn the handle nothing happens. If I do manage to pull it up tot he top and roll the handle all the way, the window stays up?
It seems odd that I could acess the entire mechanism simply by removing the handle (if I understand you correctly thats what you tolf guiterist88).
anyways, any help would be much appreciated.
Zenon
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The glass part of the window is glued into a rail. Apparently, the glue on yours has given way, so you need to get that glued again. I am not sure which brand of window to guide glue to get. But, I assume there is a special one. Do some research. If, after you get in there and see that the glass is still securely glued to its rail, then the plastic roller may have slipped out of its guide. Just take a good look at what is wrong after you get the cover off. It's really a pretty simple mechanism, and common sense will guide you in how to fix it.