Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 Stang Exhaust

Old 02-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Cmwry
1st Gear Member

Default 66 Stang Exhaust

Hey guys I just recently got my mustang. I've got a 289 1966. I really want to get a new exhaust set up what would would you guys suggest? Throw me your 2 cents I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks

-Chad
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Well, I'm running the stock GT duals on my K code 289 High Performance engine. It's rebuilt, and port-matched, but otherwise stock. Sounds great, easy to install, and plenty of power.
If you are converting from single exhaust, you'll need the dual-type rear axle brake lines, rear brake hose, brake hose bolt, brake hose underbody bracket, and brake line extension to reach that bracket.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
MustangFTW

do you need to reroute the brake lines if your using a different dual exhaust then the GT or do all single to dual conversions need brake line moving.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I would like to see a picture of the different fuel lines, my car had some sorta shop made duals and the brake line came back to the bracket on the transition panel and changed to rubber. What's different in the dual exaust brake line?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
I would like to see a picture of the different fuel lines, my car had some sorta shop made duals and the brake line came back to the bracket on the transition panel and changed to rubber. What's different in the dual exaust brake line?
The fuel lines at the rear were routed the same in all Mustangs, regardless of engine. There should be only 3" of rubber attaching the steel line to the gas tank. Any more than that, and your mechanic is trying to kill you.

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
do you need to reroute the brake lines if your using a different dual exhaust then the GT or do all single to dual conversions need brake line moving.
Any 64-66 single exhaust car requires this, unless, of course, you want to die. The brake hose will rub against the LH tailpipe you've added. The standard hose loops up, toward the pipe, the dual hose loops down, away from it.

Factory dual:

Last edited by 2+2GT; 02-12-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Cmwry
1st Gear Member

Appreciate everyones suggestions so a stock gt dual exhaust set up is a good one? If you guys could help me it with one last thing converting from single to dual exhaust would cost around.... Shoot me a ball park and I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Thanks gt I meant to type brake lines and stuck fuel in there without thinking. So for a safe bet it may be best to just go with ordering new brake lines for a dual exhaust even if you are not going all the way out the back. It doesn't sound like any new brackets will be needed?

Interesting, that fuel line bracket on mine is croked?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Here's another view of the brake and fuel lines. For your brake, you'll need an extension for the brake line, and a new under-body bracket where the hose and line connect. You also need new axle lines, hose, and the bolt that attaches the hose to the axle.

See how the steel fuel line goes all the way to the tank, with only a tiny connecting hose?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Cmwry
1st Gear Member

I can't wait! Man that dual exhaust must sound great!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The stock single exhaust doesn't stink, either, trouble is, most people have never heard it. Back then, you were lucky to get 3 years from stock pipes unless you lived in the desert. Replacement systems "went cheap", and eliminated the resonator, which changed the sound completely, made it sound "cheap", too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 66 Stang Exhaust