Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is this a "Pony Carb?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I give up.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tilley
Thank you Vern.

Is there anything you can tell me about the "vent actuating lever" or the "vent valve rod?" The carb I'm running on my car now does not have these. The new carb I bought, like the Pony Carb Autolite 1100 pictured above, does have them. Are both these carbs made for a 1965 Mustang with an I6 200ci motor. Is it better to have the vent valve rod, or better off without it?

What does the vent actuating lever and vent valve rod do?

Thanks again Vern for any advice or knowledge you can share.

sorry i don't monitor the forum on w/e or before noon PST. I'll get back to you shortly
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

My Factory shop manual (1966) section 10 page 10-30 shows the I6 series carbs with a vent control valve activated by a rod off of the Accel pump and states "....at low or idle engine speeds the fuel bowl requires venting to atmosphere, engine performance is improved. In addition, during higher engine speeds, venting to the carb air horn prevents calibration changes due to air filter contamination". My interpretation of this paragraph is the correct carb needs the vent rod setup. I can upload the page if you don't have a FSM. I see 5 different Ford 9510 Carb PNs for 200 1V engines based on if they have thermactor, auto, or std trans.

Essentially the vent control valve setup controls where the car fuel bowl vents from [carb throat(air horn) or atmosphere] to improve engine performance.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I messed up 2 1bbl carbs, said screw them and went 2bbl. So I don't remember anything about 1bbl carbs.

Last edited by 1slow67; 02-21-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlg2002
My Factory shop manual (1966) section 10 page 10-30 shows the I6 series carbs with a vent control valve activated by a rod off of the Accel pump and states "....at low or idle engine speeds the fuel bowl requires venting to atmosphere, engine performance is improved. In addition, during higher engine speeds, venting to the carb air horn prevents calibration changes due to air filter contamination". My interpretation of this paragraph is the correct carb needs the vent rod setup. I can upload the page if you don't have a FSM. I see 5 different Ford 9510 Carb PNs for 200 1V engines based on if they have thermactor, auto, or std trans.

Essentially the vent control valve setup controls where the car fuel bowl vents from [carb throat(air horn) or atmosphere] to improve engine performance.
Thank you Vern, I would appreciate the upload, and thanks again for you help.

Tilley
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

I just got the Pony Vaporizer in Dec. The only difference I could tell from the appearance was the white plastic parts that are shown in your photo. On my Autolight the Pushrod on the top was metal, this one has the white plastic piece like in your photo.
I read the website, supposedly, there is no difference in the appearance. They are complete concourse quality.
I can tell you from the moment I slapped it on, they only look alike. It cleared up so many problems I was having with my car! It is like night and day. A big difference, especially starting in cold weather. Starts right when the key makes contact.... every time! Problems I thought might be timing are gone for good.
I was worried about spending $450 for the vaporizer, but I have spent that much on 3 rebuilt carbs and service in the past couple years. Well worth the money for how I always dreamed my 170-6 would run!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MetalEd
I just got the Pony Vaporizer in Dec. The only difference I could tell from the appearance was the white plastic parts that are shown in your photo. On my Autolight the Pushrod on the top was metal, this one has the white plastic piece like in your photo.
I read the website, supposedly, there is no difference in the appearance. They are complete concourse quality.
I can tell you from the moment I slapped it on, they only look alike. It cleared up so many problems I was having with my car! It is like night and day. A big difference, especially starting in cold weather. Starts right when the key makes contact.... every time! Problems I thought might be timing are gone for good.
I was worried about spending $450 for the vaporizer, but I have spent that much on 3 rebuilt carbs and service in the past couple years. Well worth the money for how I always dreamed my 170-6 would run!
Wow. Something to think about, maybe a vaporizer is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

BTW, The one you are showing in the picture has the Anti-stall Dashpot, Spark Advance and the Auto Choke. The same as mine so this would would be for a car with an Auto Trans and Without Calif. Emissions.
Your picture shows it with a fairly new hose mount (behind the choke spring case, holds the heater hose, From the thermostat to the heater core.) It is almost impossible to find a rebuilt carb that has one. Yours looks like it is new (like mine), since Pony carbs has them made and installed on their carbs, it is another point that makes me think it might be a genuine pony carb.
From the stats I have been checking, it looks like that carb should work fine for you as long as you have a 170 or 200, with an auto transmission. Hey, at worst, it would only take a few minutes to bolt it on and try it out. You could always switch back to your old one if there are any problems. (i haven't checked if the Venturii is the same for both size engines because I don't have all the details.)
If you do confirm it as a Vaporizer. You may want to contact pony carbs an ask them about purchasing their install/tune-up DVD-Rom.(included when you buy their carbs) Incredible amount of step by step info takes all the pain out of installing it correctly, tuning it and tuning your car to it.
If the one you have now only has one diaphram (no anti-stall dashpot), then that is for a manual transmission.
Not an expert, but this is some of the info I collected going through this when I got mine. Hope something here helps!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Boy Ed, I sure hope so. On Tuesday I am picking up a couple carb gaskets so I can try the new carb out. And as you said, if it's no good, I just put the old carb on.

Ed, since you do have a Vaporizer, what kind of "mpg" do you get?

Lastly, by California Emissions...what do you mean? I wasn't aware vehicles in 1965 were that concerned about smog? Mine was made in San Jose, CA.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tilley
Boy Ed, I sure hope so. On Tuesday I am picking up a couple carb gaskets so I can try the new carb out. And as you said, if it's no good, I just put the old carb on.

Ed, since you do have a Vaporizer, what kind of "mpg" do you get?

Lastly, by California Emissions...what do you mean? I wasn't aware vehicles in 1965 were that concerned about smog? Mine was made in San Jose, CA.
My Mistake... It was late... Should have read "With Vacuum advance distributor" since it has the vacuum port. I would assume all 65/inline 6's would have it, so it should not be a problem. (I am not familiar with other 6's, this is my first.)
As for the gas mileage. It's incredible, but I can't tell you what difference the carb made by itself. I swapped out the thermostat at the same time. Some idiot had put a 160 degree thermostat in my car years ago. It would take 5-10 minutes to warm enough to be driven even though the temp gauge never, ever moved off cool the entire time I owned it (I thought the gauge/sensor was broke! Never showed warm in LA, Ca. Weather! ). It was Causing a problem with the choke never really warming to normal running temp in cold weather. After swapping it for the 190 degree thermostat and putting in the Vaporizer....it made it run like a whole new monster. Beside not having to warm it for 10 minutes to get it to drive right, I am no longer running with the choke on most of the time. Tuned choke/temp allowed tuning the RPMs to just under 500 instead of running high all the time. I haven't checked my MPG yet, but I am filling the tank at least half as often with these 2 (correct) changes!
If it is a vaporizer and no one has tweaked the settings too much, you should be able to bolt it on and go. Pony Carbs mounts them on the actual engines and tunes them before they go out. So no adjustment is really needed to get it running on your car. Slight adjustment to tune the idle to your car/preference should be all you need to do. Chances are in your favor that it is set for a 200 since there are so few 170s (like mine) out there at all.
Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Is this a "Pony Carb?"