Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is this a "Pony Carb?"

Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

I now have an accurate estimate on gas mileage. Was kind of difficult at first because traffic in San Diego is about as crappy as traffic in Los Angeles,so that messes up the mpg of the freeway.

With my old carb the mpg was about 20 mpg, with the Vaporizer it is about 21 mpg (give or take a mile either way). So as far as the mpg go, there isn't any real significant difference, but there is in driveability.

The car drives very smooth, much more than the old carb, and I can tell the acceleration is much better...of course as much as can be expected from a six cylinder.

There is a slight surging when cruising at higher speeds (65-75 mph), but I'm not sure if that is related to the carb as much as it may be from the load-o-matic distributor. I will address that question on another posting.

I can say that a 1965 Mustang with an Autolite 1-barrel carburetor will probably have some issues because of the inherent inefficiency of the one barrel. The lack of "annular discharge booster" that is available in the Autolite's 2100 and 4100 does put the single barrel in a distinct disadvantage.

The difference in performance between running my car with and without an annular discharge booster was very profound indeed.

Knowing what I know now, would I buy a Vaporizer from Pony Carb at around $450.00 a pop...

...yes I would.

One of the main reason's I sold my 2005 Jeep to buy this 1965 Mustang was because I wanted a car that would run a lifetime with minimal expense. The majority of things that are needed to fix or maintain this car does not require a special diagnostic computer or outrageous prices on parts. I am retaking control of my transportation needs and not relying on a mechanic's shop that makes it's living off liberating dead presidents from your wallet.

The Vaporizer carburetor is made in a shop out in New Mexico that is thriving on a reputation of putting out a product of advanced technology that was not applied when made in the mid 1960's.

I want my Mustang to run with unquestionable reliability. I want to be able to let my wife or family drive this car and not have to worry about their safety. This carburetor has helped in giving me that confidence, along with a new radiator, distributor, electronic ignition, etc...

Please feel free to PM me or post questions regarding my experience with this carburetor, or my experience with Pony Carb's customer service. I will be more than happy to share my experiences.