Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Fastback with a 351w, which headers should I use?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
65fastbackman

It's not a bother, it just doesn't really help when you are giving me advice for which headers to use when it's on a completely different year car
Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65fastbackman
It's not a bother, it just doesn't really help when you are giving me advice for which headers to use when it's on a completely different year car
The advice I was giving you goes for any year car with any style headers..If the footnotes say you will need to use a certain year mount and the dimensions need to be such and such it is pretty likely that you will need to follow the directions....Like I also said MY headers do fit YOUR car even if mine is a 68..

Last edited by frdnut; 02-21-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

And I don't have the 66 motor mounts which they claim you need to have for the swap headers. It was a total pain in the **** to get the motor in while using the 65 mounts, it took over 3 hours, and would prefer to not have to take the engine back out or swap the motor mounts as well
I think the hi po and vert mounts for 65 were the taller ones, so a GT 350 would have taller mounts. Only 65 and early 66 non hi po had the shorter mounts.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...atkey=emustang
I do not have experience with Ron Morris mounts, but I thought they were only adjustable front to back.
I have never heard of the motors sagging to the right.

Last edited by noroof66; 02-21-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
65fastbackman

Originally Posted by frdnut
The advice I was giving you goes for any year car with any style headers..If the footnotes say you will need to use a certain year mount and the dimensions need to be such and such it is pretty likely that you will need to follow the directions....Like I also said MY headers do fit YOUR car even if mine is a 68..
Look, I'm not trying to argue with you or anything. I'm just saying that you telling me that your hooker headers worked in your 68 means absolutely nothing to me as the engine bay in a 68 is much wider and I've never heard of anyone having issues with your setup. I also had a 68 fastback with a 351 c in it and did swap headers which fit much better, but the 68 is wider than the 65 obviously and your advice in so many words was that the hooker swap headers should work with my setup because they worked for yours. My response is that I'm not going to pay over $500 for a set of headers that someone says will work for a 68 when I'm not positive they will work for my 65, period.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

JBA makes swap headers for the 351W in a 65/66 but you are going to pay a pretty penny for them (p/n 1653 for mechanical clutch, p/n 1655 for cable clutch). That said, JBA makes a top notch header.

FWIW, I did a 351W swap into my '65 fastback about 20 years ago before there were all the choices in parts that there are today. I used Alan Root heads which required custom headers for the '65 which weren't cheap. When it came time to redo the car in 2006, I decided I had enough with the tight squeeze of the 351W and went back to a 302.

I have the Ron Morris mounts and they work well.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 PM
roka-88
1st Gear Member

Im running Hedman shorties on my '66 351w and they do the job. Also don't need worry about clearance issues too
Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
roka-88
1st Gear Member

Look, I'm not trying to argue with you or anything. I'm just saying that you telling me that your hooker headers worked in your 68 means absolutely nothing to me as the engine bay in a 68 is much wider and I've never heard of anyone having issues with your setup. I also had a 68 fastback with a 351 c in it and did swap headers which fit much better, but the 68 is wider than the 65 obviously and your advice in so many words was that the hooker swap headers should work with my setup because they worked for yours. My response is that I'm not going to pay over $500 for a set of headers that someone says will work for a 68 when I'm not positive they will work for my 65, period.
I agree, 65/66 and 67/68 are quite different when it come to space in the bay. Now i haven't read up enough on hookers to tell you how they fit on 65/66 but im sure they're plenty of people here who experienced/read about them and can drop a few comments regarding the pros and cons
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 AM
65fastbackman

Originally Posted by roka-88
I agree, 65/66 and 67/68 are quite different when it come to space in the bay. Now i haven't read up enough on hookers to tell you how they fit on 65/66 but im sure they're plenty of people here who experienced/read about them and can drop a few comments regarding the pros and cons
Thank you Roka, that is all I'm trying to do here is to get someone with first hand experience with using a 65/66 mustang, 351w and some sort of swap header. That being said, I talked to the guy at Summit racing tech and he recommended the hedmans: cheaper, ceramic coated, full length and he said they've gotten no complaints on them. Another Summit guy said that hooker headers are now being made in Mexico, which makes me sad because I had a set of ceramic coated competition headers when I had a 302 in my 65 and never had a problem with them. And I'm not about spending over $700 on a pair of hooker ceramic coated super comps when they are cheaply put together and made in mexico. Plus, he recommended a 1 5/8" primary for applications with less than 550 hp. But last question for you guys, someone on here mentioned you aren't supposed to break a motor in with ceramic coated headers? I've never heard about that before, any opinions/first hand experience from anyone? I don't see how they could make a difference considering that it's only the outside that is coated. Anyways thanks for the input everyone.

-Blair
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM
roka-88
1st Gear Member

ya, i dont see why it would hurt anything to break in your motor with cc headers but if theres a legit reason out there, Id like to hear it. Goodluck with your hearder hunt. keep us updated. btw, how much power are you making?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I breifly installed a 351w in my 65 fastback about a year and a half ago. I ended up purchasing the hedman headers. The fit was tight and it required cutting the bolt ends on the shock towers. However I did not change the motor mounts. They were the stock 65 mounts at the time. I ended up getting everything in there and the headers just barely cleared the shock towers. However, because of the difficulty of changing plugs, working on the engine, etc. I pulled it back out and installed a rebuilt 289.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65 Fastback with a 351w, which headers should I use?