Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Fastback with a 351w, which headers should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
65fastbackman

Default 65 Fastback with a 351w, which headers should I use?

Hello. I've got a couple questions for you guys about a 302 to 351w swap that I'm in the process of completing... first, what headers would you recommend? has anyone done this swap and have first hand experience? If so, I know there are the hooker super comps which are close to $1k, the hedman swap headers which are the cheapest and then also I've heard of accufab which is a custom made header... are there any others? Second, I talked to a local guy here in Seattle that does custom headers and he said that I wouldn't need any bigger than a 1 5/8" primary? Any feedback or input on that? He said the 1 3/4" primaries are typically for engines with over 550 hp? Is that true? Lastly and most important, I believe that my fastback was hit on the passenger side fender before I bought the car and the engine sits somewhat off center in the car... it's about 2.5" from shock tower to engine block on the drivers side but only about 2" from shock tower to engine block on the passenger side. And when I put a level on the carburetor it's about that same .5" low toward the passenger side. How can I fix this without spending thousands of dollars? I just have the stock early 1965 motor mounts, stock heads from a 1994 351w roller motor. Could I put some sort of spacer on the passenger side motor mount to push it up another .5" or so? Also, I've got a T-5 trans, McLeod 8660 scattershield and standard clutch linkage with the equalizer bar. Am I going to run into any problems there? Thanks so much guys, I've got the motor in and I'm hoping to have the car up and running within the next couple weeks or so for the early spring car shows.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 PM
66fstbk88
1st Gear Member

i got hedman. the fit was ok just had to tap a few spots. i like them! im getting my car dyno next week, hoping to hit the 500's
Old 02-19-2011, 01:44 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Most of us like http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm also i would think hard on adjustable motor mounts http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/...Code=Eng_Parts they let you get the engine perfect in there.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:41 AM
65fastbackman

I called ford powertrain applications and they said they don't make a 65 351w swap header anymore because there just isn't enough space in the engine bay for the engine to clear with headers. And I've also thought about the adjustable motor mounts but then a guy at a local place in the Seattle area said that for the most part the ford engines always sag toward the right or passenger side? How accurate is that? And lastly, I've heard so many different things between the 1965 and 1966 style motor mounts... I looked at them at schucks and they look identical in height, so I'm thinking they are the same height but just a different design for the two years. Opinions/experience anyone?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

I don't know where you saw the hookers for 1K?..Here they are for half that price. http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker/520/6208/10002/-1 I am running them in my 68 and they tuck up nicely..Read the footnotes for the headers though..They talk about shock tower sag so you will have to measure your car and make sure its the proper dimensions..If it has sagged you can jack it open and install a export brace and a monte carlo bar to keep it in shape..They also tell you the proper engine mounts to use....I agree you probably do not need the 1 3/4 tubes of the hooker 6208s for a mild 351 but they would give you room to grow later on if you think you might go for something with more power..For your app I would go with a hedman or something cheap if you can find one to clear your clutch linkage..

Last edited by frdnut; 02-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 PM
65fastbackman

Yeah but that is for the black ones which I don't really like, I like the ceramic coated ones a lot better which are way more money. Plus the hedmans are only $428 for the ceramic coated swap headers from autopartsdealer.com and I also heard that hooker brand went to Mexico and that they are a bad design now. Any opinions?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM
65fastbackman

And I don't have the 66 motor mounts which they claim you need to have for the swap headers. It was a total pain in the **** to get the motor in while using the 65 mounts, it took over 3 hours, and would prefer to not have to take the engine back out or swap the motor mounts as well
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65fastbackman
And I don't have the 66 motor mounts which they claim you need to have for the swap headers. It was a total pain in the **** to get the motor in while using the 65 mounts, it took over 3 hours, and would prefer to not have to take the engine back out or swap the motor mounts as well
You may have no choice if that is what the header was designed to work with..Remember you are fitting an engine in the car that was never available from the factory and is a pretty tight fit..
Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 AM
65fastbackman

Yes I realize that I'm fitting a big engine into a small engine bay... I'm just wondering what people have used before who have done this swap. Obviously the 67-68 mustang is wider than the 65-66 so what you used in your 68 doesn't exactly help. And no, the hooker headers aren't the only choice, there is JBA, ACCUFAB, HEDMAN, HOOKER, ETC.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65fastbackman
Yes I realize that I'm fitting a big engine into a small engine bay... I'm just wondering what people have used before who have done this swap. Obviously the 67-68 mustang is wider than the 65-66 so what you used in your 68 doesn't exactly help. And no, the hooker headers aren't the only choice, there is JBA, ACCUFAB, HEDMAN, HOOKER, ETC.
The headers I am using are a swap header for 65-70 mustangs with a 351..My point was that you will need to pay attention to the footnotes no matter what header you use...Sorry to have bothered you..

Quick Reply: 65 Fastback with a 351w, which headers should I use?