Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anyone else running HID headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:04 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default Anyone else running HID headlights?

I installed HID headlights in my 68 about 3 years ago. I fabricated the headlight wiring harness putting in a relay to give it direct power instead of drawing off the headlight switch. I had to do a little more fabricating and fitting but made it all work. I noticed a year or two ago Sacramento Mustang was selling full HID kits for the classics now, just wondering if anyone else has gone this route. Definitely made a huge difference and is a must upgrade in any mustang wether you go HID route or just upgrade the wiring harness for brighter lights. Personally I think the HID lights looks great, just want to hear some other opinions as I know this definitely makes it a bit of a resto mod

Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Your right about relays being a necessity for Mustangs that get driven.

While HID headlights are brighter, the retrofit kits are not legal for on road use and produce excessive glare to oncomming drivers. The only legal HID is factory HID.

In my opinion a good relay setup and Sylvania Xtravision (not Silverstar) sealed beams which are the same wattage as capsule bulbs is a great setup. Another option is H4 conversion. I think that Halogen bulbs are fine.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yup, HID conversion is illegal in the US. And HID puts out very little infrared, so the lens can fog/ice over in bad weather more easily. That's why most factory HID's actually have a headlight squirter similar to a windshield washer squirter. And the glare is obnoxious, I severely dislike having someone in oncoming traffic at night blinding me.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 AM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

I converted mine to 8000k and love them.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

They're not too bad if you adjust them properly, meaning down and not straight out. Most people doing the conversions don't bother, and those are the cars that blind you coming down the road.

Some of the really nice conversions are motorized for different angles. Expensive, but a much better solution. IIRC, Iskwezm has those on his, but I could be wrong.

I also saw a different solution at work yesterday. A kid brought in an HID conversion bulb/harness that he was trying to match up. The kit used a regular HID, with an H1 sitting next to it as the high beam. The HID's could be angled properly downward and the H1 was only used as the high beam light. The downside was that the bulb assembly and harness was all one unit and completely proprietary, meaning you couldn't just walk into a parts store and match it up (which is what we were trying to do).

All that said, I use Wagner BrightLite's (equivalent to Sylvania XtraVisions) and I'm really happy with them. I haven't done a relay conversion yet, but it's on the to-do list.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
bhikku

And the glare is obnoxious, I severely dislike having someone in oncoming traffic at night blinding me.
+1
one of the most annoying things on the road
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

I originally did the H4 conversion but it didn't impress me much, still was quite dim. So that's why I eventually went to this set up. Yes I've heard its illegal but o well haha. As you can tell i have the lights angled almost alway the way down and the bulbs come with a glare shield to avoid blinding drivers. They are bi xenon (i believe thats what its called) so when i turn high beams on, a motor on the bulbs flips them up a bit instead of going to a brighter second light. And your right somestimes you do have those HID headlights that blind you, but in my opinion...all headlights pointed directly at your are bright and blinding, why not make them look good.

I knew some of you guys would like them and some wouldn't be big fans, just wanted to hear some opinons and thoughts and I appreciate it. Keep em coming.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Its not HIDs that are blinding or illegal its any headlight modification outside of oem specs. HIDs are perfectly fine when properly setup. 17year olds with Civics gave them a bad rep.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by knuckless
all headlights pointed directly at your are bright and blinding

Agreed, a badly aimed headlight is a badly aimed headlight pretty much regardless of the technology it uses to generate the light.

why not make them look good.

Because headlights are there for a functional purpose, and need to meet somewhat contradictory needs as it is. Useful illumination for the person driving the car in question, and that that illumination does not cause interference for other traffic. That's what the regulations are all about, putting enough light in the right places to see to drive by without putting too much of it where it will bother others.

The only appearance factor related to headlights that I as a driver am interested in is what the illumination of the roadway, shoulder(s), and enough right side light to see the signs looks like. Good reach, nice even pattern, no dark patches kind of stuff.

The drivers coming the other way - or the drivers in front of me for that matter - all they really care about is that my lights aren't bothering them.

NOBODY ELSE'S OPINION MATTERS . . . . (least of all those who place emphasis on "style")

Remember that while you're driving, you can't see your own headlights, so whatever aesthetic contribution they make to your car's appearance is wasted as far as you're concerned when you actually have the lights lit. You'll almost never see it, and can't use it for much when you would. So what's the point in changing it?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-02-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I have a 6000K kit on mine and love them.Im not sure what you had to fabricate, but it was 30 minute install for both housings and the ballast.Running the wire to the solenoid took a little time to hide everything.

Quick Reply: Anyone else running HID headlights?