Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

backfire throgh carb and no power under load

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 PM
mpissaquah

Default backfire throgh carb and no power under load

I jsut picked up a 67 mustang that hase been nearly restored. I understand the 302 engine is rebuilt Thee car will start but has little to no power in gear and backfires through the carb quite a bit. With the vacume line attached to the distributor will backfire occasionaly throught the carb at idle.

Here is what I know abouit the engine
302 High output - not original and not sure of vintage
Eldabrock 1406 4bbl carb
Spped pro CD1217 cam
Engine is very clean, all new hoses lines, fuel filter etc...

I have the timing set at 8 degrees BTDC
vacume is pretty consistantly low at 12-15 - lower with vacume line on distirbutor connected

The timming seems to be in the sweet spot at idle. Adjsuting the carb does not seem to effect the vacume. nothing ive done thsut far resolve the problem of lack of powet and backfire under load. I am by no means an expert and would welcome suggestions.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

There are a bunch of reasons but check the firing order. Some new cam grinds have a different firing order than stock, sounds like there is a vacuum leak in the distributor advance and your timing may be low depending on the cam grind.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I will almost bet that that cam uses the 351 firing order. Swap the wires around and i bet youll be happy. I know cause that was my problem...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

according to what i found online, it uses the 302 order. So, double check the firing order as stated above.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...tModelId=18681

other than that you could have a valve hanging open.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

It can be a lot of things. However, one simple thing that it could be is the carb to intake gasket worn. Tightening the carb will not always solve this, you may need a new gasket. I had the same issue and went through the timing etc. and it ended up being the carb gasket.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM
mpissaquah

THe firing order is configured for the 351. I tried the normal 302 and the car will not even start
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
mpissaquah

I picked up a new Edaborck 1406 carb and installed it. The new carb fixed the problem I was having wiht the advance from teh distributor. THere is now no advance whne at idle. THe car runs decent cold, but when warmed up same old backfire through the carb and barley runs at all under load........ I'm not sure where to go from here... Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Most back fires are electrical related so check the condition of the plugs and wires. Wires can look good at idle but go to crap when under load. still have points? check the dwell and or the point gap and look for excessive arched mat'l on the contacts.
What is the compression of the engine. I suspect your timing chain may have slipped or was put in a tooth off. The CD1217 R cam specs say its a 302 firing order so this may indicate your problem.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
mpissaquah

changed the firing order to the 302 and it wont even start. No points - electronic. The wires are nearly new. Have not yet confirmed the plugs or compression
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

your timing may be too advanced. So when it gets hot you are getting detination.

Quick Reply: backfire throgh carb and no power under load