Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Buying a 1968 Fastback, a little worried about the seller.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Kingshawn1234

Default Buying a 1968 Fastback, a little worried about the seller.

I'v been looking at a mustang fastback 1968 from a private seller and I was suppose to buy it on Wednesday but then he told me he sold it. Then, yesterday he said the guy never went through with the wire and its still for sale. So today i went and saw the car again and the bank was closed so I couldn't pay him. But he said he only wants cash and he doesn't want to deal with me wiring the money or giving him a check. Doesn't that seem a little shady of him? Also how can i make sure the car isn't stolen or anything? Im suppose to go back monday and pay him do you guys have any suggestions? and he also said he is selling the car for his father-in-law so its under his name. But he does have the title but how do i know if it is even real?
Thanks guys,
Shawn
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I bought mine off of Ebay 5 years ago. I sent him the down payment which was 1K after I won the auction. He FedEx'd me the title and a set of keys. I went and got plates and insurance. I then sent him the rest of the money and he shipped the car to me.

I would ask for the vin number and then goto the registration office and just plainly ask if there is going to be any issues and if there is a clean title.

James
Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 PM
captain cook

If the car and the VIN tag match what the title says the # is then most likely the deal is real. ... don't fault someone for wanting cash..that way they do not have the worries of a bad check, when you drive off in the car. Title in someone else's name is not a problem as long as the "owner" has signed the title and in some cases had it Notorized. Always be cautious like you are..
Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

ANY deal I have ever made either buying or selling as or with a private owner has been cash. I would never accept a check for a number or reasons, so him wanting cash is reasonable.

You have to have a good feeling about the seller in order to follow through with a deal. In your case I think you doubt your confidence in this seller. He may be fine, but it's your money. Go talk to him again. Maybe you will feel better about the deal.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Cash is actually the best way. With the evolvement of printers and such it is very easy to fake a check, even a cashiers check. My insurance agent ran my VIN when I bought mine to make sure the car wasn't reported stolen. Yours might do the same for you.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:05 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The scam they do with cashiers checks is they get one clean out the account right after so when you cash it its no good.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I sent mine a bank wire, from my account to his. I figure that is also safe for the seller. I'll admit, a wire of $15k to a stranger had me on edge for a day until the car shipping company showed up and called me to tell me that my Fastback was on it's way.

I did so many things wrong when i bought mine. After becoming a member to this site later on after my purchase I've seen lots of wisdom posted here that I wish that I would have practiced before I bought mine. Some how I lucked out, but in this business that is very rare. I paid for that luck at one restoration place doing my coil conversion. You only have so much luck.

Think about the seller, Im with Racer Dave and AndrewMP, this guy is selling his Fastback and probably has had to dodge a bunch of fake buyers. I can't post on craigslist to sell a $50 part with a bunch of fake buyers trying to swindle me out of my stuff.

James

Last edited by musnicki; 03-13-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Kingshawn1234

Nice, thanks Im definitely going to look up the vin with my insurance company and make sure everything is legit.

I guess i could see why he wouldn't want a check, But I dont see anything wrong with a money wire there's is know way he can get scammed through that.

I have scene way tooo many scammers when ever I sell things on ebay or craigslist.

Also another problem I was having is I was not able to tell the difference between rust and surface rust. If you guys dont mind posting pictures between surface rust and rust.

I have scene way toooo many scammers when ever I sell things on ebay or craigslist.

Here are the pictures I have of the car. What do you guys think.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Shawn, please also get the opinion of those on the eleanor site. Those pictures are o.k. but don't tell the whole story.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

That car looks pretty clean if you ask me. Id like to see a couple picks of the floor pans under the carpet and then dump a pale of water down the cowl to be sure but it looks pretty well taken care of.

Quick Reply: Buying a 1968 Fastback, a little worried about the seller.