Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

white smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

LOL...I cant get it to do it while it sits and idles only seems to do it when im out and about. that would be funny as hell though at a stop light run up and crawl under to sniff the exhaust. I have turn downs...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
wtf is lawnboy? I know the sweet smell but its hard to say right now because im still burning off some antifreeze i spilt all over the place. definatley white not blue
LOL, I guess you never cut the grass with one so how about a chainsaw? You would know if you smelled like you were cutting down trees all day. Generally you would see condensation at idle, at least when it's damp and cool, mine does.

I have only had one bad head gasket go on one of my cars and aside from a slight sweet smell and loss of coolant you would never know, but I have seen some old Ford Windstars on the road belching out bright white smoke.

Where did you spill the antifreeze?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
wtf is lawnboy? I know the sweet smell but its hard to say right now because im still burning off some antifreeze i spilt all over the place. definatley white not blue
He's showing his age again Lawnboy made one of the few 2 cycle lawnmowers that were available in 70s though to about 1990.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
captain cook

head gasket blown would be worst case.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

That would suck with only about 2,000 miles on motor
Old 03-16-2011, 01:18 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

If it's coolant a 40 dollar chemical test will tell you. Can buy it at Napa. Pulls the air in the radiator when the thermostat is open thru a blue chemical. If it has combustion gas in it, it will tell you by changing colors.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Cup your hands over it when it's doing it. Can help smell it easier.
LOLOLOL or do it with the garage closed.

no seriously, whats the temp where you live? on a cold day (below 20) My car looks like its fumigating the neighborhood, but once it warms up there very little visible exhaust. does is disperse or will it hang in the air for a while? if it disperses then its probably steam not smoke.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

in my experience if it's anything bad I loose water at the same time.
When it's a cold day in the morning I have massive white clouds occasionally which are just condensation.
But just as scootchu says, if it smells sweet its antifreez which is a bad sign, or if it smells of oil.

I usually cup my hands (just do it at home). Sometimes I just push my hand against the axhaust for a few seconds to block it and taste it then (don't be seen doing that) ... if you were to spill oil or coolant you'd taste that alright
Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Im in socal. not a cold issue. it was almost 80 degrees. CPR ill look into that tool. thank you for the advice
Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya it's a good tool. could never find it here in Ireland. In germany in the garage we had that. you'd screw it on top of the radiator and it had a liquid bowl. when the engine heated up it forced the excess pressure through the liquid. and depending on the color it was ok, or exhaust fumes

if you are not loosing any water I wouldn't be too bothered about it though or if it doesn't go below a certain level if you don't have a pickup bottle

Quick Reply: white smoke?