Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
CyprusMustang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Mustang convertible
Default 351w or 351c??

Hi guys, i got myself a 351 block that reads D2AE-GA and then below 3B7 i believe that is 3rd Feb 1987. Not sure though, how can I tell what engine i have and from what car it came out of....
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

1969 Mustang Convertible - 351c
Comp Hydraulic Roller Cam, Performer Intake Manifold, Hydraulic Roller Lifters, New Retainers, Double Roller timing chain, New oil pump and pan, new fly wheel, stock crank, New pistons and rings, New distributer and POS C4 Transmission

sponsored by www.BlueIslandEstates.com
CyprusMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyprusMustang View Post
Hi guys, i got myself a 351 block that reads D2AE-GA and then below 3B7 i believe that is 3rd Feb 1987. Not sure though, how can I tell what engine i have and from what car it came out of....
Hmmm… Don't see a "GA" on the list, although there is a "CA" 351C. "

"3B7" means 1973 - February - day 7

No way to tell the original app, it could have been car, truck, boat, ski lift, wood chipper…

Last edited by 2+2GT; 03-26-2011 at 07:34 AM.
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 68 mustang

2+2 is correct on the date codes..Look at the front of the block..The cleveland has the timing cover cast into the block..The upper rad hose connects right to it and not the intake..The windsor has an aluminium bolt on timing cover like 289/302s and the upper rad hose goes right to the intake manifold..

68 J code 408W topoader with 4:11 detroit locker 11.82 @120.85
frdnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
CyprusMustang
2nd Gear Member

Heres a pic of the bottom...

Click the image to open in full size.

and heres the casting...

Click the image to open in full size.

Comp Hydraulic Roller Cam, Performer Intake Manifold, Hydraulic Roller Lifters, New Retainers, Double Roller timing chain, New oil pump and pan, new fly wheel, stock crank, New pistons and rings, New distributer and POS C4 Transmission

Last edited by CyprusMustang; 03-26-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

It's a cleveland going by the front cover cast in..

Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
CyprusMustang
2nd Gear Member

are c's better?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
are c's better?
Depends..lol...In stock form the cleveland is better mostly because of its better breathing cylinder heads over the windsor style head..The cleveland also has smaller journals on the crankshaft which are better for high rpms in racing situations...The downside is the cylinders are pretty thin and can crack when pushed hard..They are also said to have a weaker oiling system than a windsor..The cleveland blocks are also harder to come by since they were only made in the states for about 4 years...The windsors have a very stout block and good oiling system and millions of them were made making them cheap and easy to find.They never had much support from the factory though so stock high performance parts are almost non existant....They do have lots of aftermarket support with better cylinder heads ,intake manifolds and stroker cranks to make big cubic inches and lots of power though....What are your plans for the motor?..Did you get the cylinder heads?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

www.ausfordparts.com
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
CyprusMustang
2nd Gear Member

i got the heads, however not sure if they were the ones that actually were made for the 351c. i got them all in parts. i got the crank, pistons, rods, valves, cam etc... everything to build a complete motor.

not sure what im going to do, maybe buy a stroker kit? what would you do? machine shops over here dont charge much so lets say i have around 1500 bucks to spend on parts before my wife kicks my ***.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
i got the heads, however not sure if they were the ones that actually were made for the 351c. i got them all in parts. i got the crank, pistons, rods, valves, cam etc... everything to build a complete motor.

not sure what im going to do, maybe buy a stroker kit? what would you do? machine shops over here dont charge much so lets say i have around 1500 bucks to spend on parts before my wife kicks my ***.
$1500 is not a lot of money so you would be limited to a stockish type rebuild...Probably the first thing to do is take your parts to a machine shop and see what is needed and what can be reused..Then you can also see how much money you are going to need..

Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1969, 351, 351c, 3b7, 69, conv, d2ae, d2aeca, d2aega, double, engine, form, ga, intake, mustang, mustangs