Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice on cam, intake, and head combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default Advice on cam, intake, and head combo

I know I posted this earlier but now I cannot find it anywhere, so here it is again. Still researching and getting all my ducks in a row. I have a 65 and am installing an upgrade to a 93 HO. Rear is 3.92 with a 5 speed. Bottom end will remain stock. This is a street car only. I also appreciate all the previous advice about good sources for getting custom cams ground, but I had to back off due to $. Right now I just want the best combo for my $. I will keep this as brief as possible. My wife's cousin owns Keisler Engineering and one of his business associates is one of the premier Ford engine builders in the US. If I could afford an engine from him, I might consider it but he already has a 3 year backlog and I am not willing to wait that long. Long story short, I was given his phone number and was told he was expecting a call from me. Super nice guy to talk with and I told him what I had came up with. In our conversation, he basically said the better choice was Edlebrock and I should call them and see what they could do, so I switched gears. Remember Edlebrock does not have a top end kit with a roller cam and TFS does not have a kit for a carbed engine, only EFI. I called Edlebrock and talked with their tech a few times and got his recommendations since their kit was not a roller cam. I also found that Edlebrock only makes retro-fit rollers for their cams and are very expensive. I then went to Summit Racing and read about what each did, got the prices, and sent my questions to them. Luckily, the tech I worked with, Kevin, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful on the 302 and this is what I am getting ready to do:
RPM Performer head 60229. Keep my Ford rollers. Rockers 77780-1.6 ratio. Cam 2221-Performer RPM hydraulic roller. Keep my Holley 600 cfm. Intake Performer RPM Air-Gap 7521. MSD distributor 8579. MSD coil 8227, Ignition box 6420 with rev limiter. With all the other essentials, this lists for right at $2600. Need advice from the many of you that have shared before with all the technical knowledge. How is this combo for a street car? I have been reading old threads about this for 3-4 hours now and all the pros and cons. I just need to know if this work for what the car will be used for? Thanks again.

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 03-26-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

This all depends on what your expectation is of a "street" car is and how much power you want...I think you would probably be very happy with that setup although I did not look at the cam specs..Can you post them?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
This all depends on what your expectation is of a "street" car is and how much power you want...I think you would probably be very happy with that setup although I did not look at the cam specs..Can you post them?
Thanks for your time. I really appreciate this. Here are the specs. Is this all you need? I also included head and intake specs in case you need them. As far as what I think a street car is just something to have fun with that will move when I put my foot in it and maybe take a trip ever now and then in. I also chose an MSD ignition system, but I am just learning as I go so I appreciate the comments and don't take offense.

Cam Style Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,500-6,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 227
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 234
Duration at 050 inch Lift 227 int./234 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 298
Advertised Exhaust Duration 302
Advertised Duration 298 int./302 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.520 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.520 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.520 int./0.520 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 112

Cylinder Head Material Aluminum
Combustion Chamber Volume (cc) 60
CNC-Machined Combustion Chamber No
Intake Runner Volume (cc) 170cc
Exhaust Runner Volume (cc) 60cc
CNC-Machined Intake Runner No
CNC-Machined Exhaust Runner No
Intake Port Location Standard
Exhaust Port Shape Square
Exhaust Port Location Standard
Intake Valves Included Yes
Intake Valve Diameter (in) 1.900 in.
Exhaust Valves Included Yes
Exhaust Valve Diameter (in) 1.600 in.

Brand Edelbrock
Manufacturer's Part Number 7121
Intake Style Dual plane
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,500-6,500

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 03-26-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Hmmm… That's a street cam, if your street is straight, and your trips are 1/4 mile at a time.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Hmmm… That's a street cam, if your street is straight, and your trips are 1/4 mile at a time.
Could you explain that, please? Looking for help. This is basically what Edlebrock and Summit Racing recommended. Are they wrong?

Last edited by Dennis Marks; 03-26-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
Could you explain that, please? Looking for help. This is basically what Edlebrock and Summit Racing recommended. Are they wrong?
OK, the mechanical tappet (solid lifter) cam in the 289 High Performance engine, the C3OZ-6250-C, was

duration (adv.) 310°/310° and lift .470"/.470"

The Cobra LeMans Ford racing cam, C7FE-6250-A, was

duration (adv.) 318°/304° and lift .510"/.510"

And yours is

duration (adv.) 298°/302° and lift .520"/.520"

Looks like yours is a drag-racing-bred cam, short-ish duration and high lift.

The stock 289 cam, C3AZ-6250-V, was

duration (adv.) 266°/244° and lift .360"/.380"
Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

OK, the mechanical tappet (solid lifter) cam in the 289 High Performance engine, the C3OZ-6250-C, was

duration (adv.) 310°/310° and lift .470"/.470"

The Cobra LeMans Ford racing cam, C7FE-6250-A, was

duration (adv.) 318°/304° and lift .510"/.510"

And yours is

duration (adv.) 298°/302° and lift .520"/.520"

Looks like yours is a drag-racing-bred cam, short-ish duration and high lift.

The stock 289 cam, C3AZ-6250-V, was

duration (adv.) 266°/244° and lift .360"/.380"
I have lost this thread twice now, so here I go again. I am a rookie at this, but over the last month I have asked a lot of you guys, done a lot of reading, changed directions several times, and asked a lot of questions. I took what you said and looked at 2 other popular cams, Crane Thumper and Ford F303. Although not the same, several numbers are similar. I am sure I am missing something but I need some more explanation. Before I drop well over 2K in this engine I want to be sure this is what I want. If anyone else out there has this cam (EDL-2221) or cam and head combo (EDL-60229) please jump in. It would be really appreciated. Remeber my rear is 3.92 and I have a 5-speed.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Looks from here the working definition of "street cam" in this project is "hottest cam that can still be driven on the street".

Since you are using hydraulic rollers, you might consider using Rhodes lifters. That'll improve power and driveability at lower rpm's, and make it possible, for example, to use power brakes, if you are so inclined.

The F303 is sold with comments such as "Basic Operating RPM Range 3,500-6,500".

The EDL-2221 is sold with a milder "RPM RANGE: 1500-6500". A bit on the high side, but streetable. Don't expect a smooth idle unless you use the Rhoads lifters.

I guess what I'd need to know is what "street car" means. That can go all the way from "daily driven" to work, or "driven once a month to cruise night at Dairy Queen".
Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget that is a roller camshaft..You can't compare new roller cams with ancient flat tappet stuff from the 60s...His car has a 3.90 rear gear and a 5 speed trans so I think it will work well for a spirited driver..
My camshaft has over 250 degrees duration at .050(advertised specs mean very little) and close to .700 lift and it idles just fine..With a 4:11 rear and a 4 speed I can putt around town with no problems at all..

Last edited by frdnut; 03-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Looks from here the working definition of "street cam" in this project is "hottest cam that can still be driven on the street".

Since you are using hydraulic rollers, you might consider using Rhodes lifters. That'll improve power and driveability at lower rpm's, and make it possible, for example, to use power brakes, if you are so inclined.

The F303 is sold with comments such as "Basic Operating RPM Range 3,500-6,500".

The EDL-2221 is sold with a milder "RPM RANGE: 1500-6500". A bit on the high side, but streetable. Don't expect a smooth idle unless you use the Rhoads lifters.

I guess what I'd need to know is what "street car" means. That can go all the way from "daily driven" to work, or "driven once a month to cruise night at Dairy Queen".
It is a cruise to Dairy Queen car. LOL! That was a good comparison. It is definately not a daily driver. I know this is probably not the thing to say since I am in my 60's ,but I have always loved a car that would run. I am not a 60ish driver. I hate puttering around. This car might kill me, but I want it to be fun and run when I ask it to. I am going to look up the Rhoads lifters. Never heard of them. What makes them different and are they sold on the general market? I thank you for the new info and getting a good laugh. Since I am "old school" I actually love to hear the lope. It is like good music. Is the Rhoads going to eliminate that or just make it more streetable? Maybe I am not that far off from what I want. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Advice on cam, intake, and head combo