Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

EFI or carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default EFI or carb

Thanks for all the previous help about engine upgrades. I picked up my 93, 302 HO engine today for my 65 and am not sure if I want to leave it injected or change it to a carb. I had all the parts picked out to carb it and was ready to place my order but now I am questioning that decision. If I leave it EFI, I know I have to add a computer and harness but that is not the problem. The Edlebrock Performer RPM heads and Performer RPM cam I was going to use will not work with the EFI. The cam and heads recommended for the EFI system seems much milder. My question is which is the best way to go for a Saturday night street car. I am old school and like to her a lopey cam and want it to go when I want to go. Opinions please.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 PM
MustangFTW

Carb, EFIing the car IMO is destroying the classicalness of it. and carbs a ALOT easier to work on and look pretty macho under the hood.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

If you do any changes or upgrades later I think the carb. is easier/cheaper to change (jets, etc.) or replace. If you make changes with EFI you get to a point where you have to change injectors, MAF,etc. gets more involved and $. It mostly comes down to preference. Can you give an example of the Edel. packages that are suggested for carb. vs. EFI that you're looking at?
Jon
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I had the same quandary when I put the 5.0 in my car 13 years ago. Decided to go carb because of a few reasons already mentioned in the above posts. Wanted more HP and really wanted to keep the car vintage in style and mods. To this day I'm glad I did.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

For driving i love fuel injection, doing this to my 67 yes it get spendy if you want everything now, but its the same as upgrading a fox body and alot of the performance parts for foxs are cheap and everyone has them. I have a few buddys with fuel injection in their classics and i have driven them and i like it. I say go fuel injection and throw a 2000 dollar foxbody supercharger and you have a pretty quick set up. You should be able to run the heads and cam with a tune. Only expensive thing i ran into with fuel injection was the intake if you want a good aftermarket one, otherwise i think i have 200 into all the parts for the swap.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If its a daily driver efi if its a weekend car carb.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Why does it need EFI if it's a daily driver? Because EFI is magic and can defy the laws of physics? A properly tuned carb'd car should drive exactly the same as EFI, if it doesn't then something is wrong.

Carb will be cheaper and easier to adjust to changing engine combinations in the future. EFI you can get different ECM's to work on pretty much any cam.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

everytime I think about EFI or look at it in catalogues are the times when my carb is not set up correctly. And so far that has always been my tuning attempts. working fine now, so no need. A/F ratios are good, don't see the point in EFI anymore.
well ya I think it is a good idea, but if I dish out 2000$ for it ...currently I don't see the point. Car is driving like a spaceship without one.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Edelbrock EFI looks pretty good.... Runs great around the shop and on cold starts, hasn't seen the street yet, but taken at face value, I am impressed with it.

This one runs great with Vic Jr heads and a "lukewarm" cam. It will turn my 15" wide tires on the asphalt.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

You try starting a dry carb in the middle of winter its fun trust me.efi will start faster and has better throttle response,After rebuilding a few carbs i started to dislike them.

Quick Reply: EFI or carb