Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

my first time cam degreeing and the 440 that never liked us

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default my first time cam degreeing and the 440 that never liked us

Well I know it's off topic, but for a 1972 Cuda we're building the 2nd engine.
Buddy bought car in UK, drove it to Ireland. it started knocking. Crank bearing shells gone and spun. Seller sent us another crank, someone worked it with an angle grinder I had no trust in it, but since he (experienced Mopar ...) sent it, in it goes. Engine vibrations of hell.
Engine out again (3rd time?) sent all parts from balancing in UK. Comes back perfectly balanced,
result. first start after cam break in. no tuning yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz4Tu_RVjbw
very nice car ...

500 miles later crank bearings eaten up again, knocking. engine out again
It goes like that for a year now. Everyone involved is starting to get really p*ssed off.

This is where you start saying things like: told you, should have refused that crank in the first place ..

Anyway, he was thinking about buying stroker kit (500ci). new crank pistons, everything.
But luckily someone in the car club in Dublin (good friends with us, we drink together ... a lot) came up with a used 440 from a campervan. Start of the week they stripped (we're going to swap over intake, carb, cam and timing gear)

I did the cam timing last night. My first time ever. For preparation I read the article at fordmuscle.com (don't be retarded). It was quite easy. Had 108degrees, so we advanced 2 and ended up with 106 (as in cam spec card). Worked like a treat. Only problems were
- getting the wheel on and off (tightening and loosening woudl turn it), so I had to doublecheck 5 times before I measured anything
- the dial gauge moved on it's own (slowly but very very steady). Is that the lifter relaxing? I had the dial gauge as tight as humanliy possible so I am sure my measuring was up to scratch

Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Ouch they shouldnt rev it like that when its cold!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:18 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376
Ouch they shouldnt rev it like that when its cold!
misunderstanding. was already warm at that stage, ran before that. just rich as crap. I 'd go mad if anyone would do that to a cold engine