Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

71 mustang 351c Short?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM
rt64859

Default 71 mustang 351c Short?

Hello everyone
I have been driving around a 71 mustang with a 351c 4 barrel carb elect choke, 2 barrel heads and an fmx transmission. The entire electrical system lights, radio, and engine will slightly stall sometimes when I hit a bump or when pressure is released or applied to the gas pedal. Most of the time it occurs when I release the gas and it seems to rarely do it after the car is really warmed up in normal temperatures. I don't see any wires rubbing against the pedal and all the wires I have found around the motor appear to be in great shape. I don't remember the car doing this when I first got it and I feel like it started after I changed a battery and the only thing that was changed at that time was was a extra little ground wire coming off the batter that was attached to the wall. I don't see how that could be the problem though. I have had several shops look at the car without a conclusion. So any ideas. Thanks for all the help
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

What did the shops check? Alternator, voltage regulator? Did they do a wiggle test of the wires? Is the alternator and belt adjusted and mounted properly? Its possible that its the alternator bouncing around cause its loose. The regulator could be on its way out. Or it could be a broken wire that is coming apart on bumps.

So what all did the shops check and change so that we know the history.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Also if it started after changing the battery try wiggling all the cables and wires around the battery and see if this can cause the problem to duplicate.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 AM
rt64859

Its been doing this for years and I am just now attempting to find a solution again. The alternator is fairly new I have had to change it 3 or 4 times over the last 9 years. I don't know if I have had bad luck with them or if a problem in the car is wearing them out. The alternator doesn't seem to budge and when wiggling all the wires the problem isn't duplicated. I don't believe that the voltage regulator has been checked recently. Should I just go ahead and swap out the voltage regulator to at least narrow the problem. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Now that im thinking about it it almost sounds like the engine to body ground might be bad, cause it will happen when the throttle is messed with which will be rocking the motor which will pull on the ground. I would say change the ground. They are only a couple of bucks to buy at a parts store.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM
rt64859

I'm kind of learning here as I'm going. Is the engine to body ground a cable or some kind of part. Can you maybe include a link to one or an image so that I can check it out. Thanks again
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Originally it was a anondized gold colored wire that was bolted to the back of the passenger head and to the firewall. If you look back there you should see the wire running from the head and just bolted to the firewall with a self tapping sheetmetal screw.

If you cant find any wires like that or the ground wire is bad, then you will be getting your body ground through the motor mounts which isnt a reliable way to ground cause the mounts pull around when the motor twists.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
STANGNWV4

i'd say its a loose ground somewhere. i had the same issue with an old Jeep i use to trail ride. hell, if i parked it wrong it wouldn't start. i'd have to beat on it or roll it to get the ground wire to make contact. it was eventually fixed.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

And sorry im at work right now and i cant get any pics, i will get some pics when i get home.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 PM
rt64859

I have a ground cable to the battery that is attached to the front and back of the engine block. I think the thing above and to the side of the battery is a solenoid? From that is a ground cable that is only connected to the same spot as the other cable in the front of the motor.

Quick Reply: 71 mustang 351c Short?