Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help with Carb setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 PM
maestro1024
1st Gear Member

Default Help with Carb setup

Hello,

I have a 67 with a 289 and it runs. Has a Holley 600 that was purchased probably 20 years ago. We took it apart and cleaned it out but was not done professionally.

Problem is when you go to actually drive it the carb has what I might call "dead spots" like it wants to cut off when you really get moving and give it some gas.

I can go start the car at any time but can't drive it up the road as it wants to cut off.

Any ideas on this?

Also, I was looking at this pic.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&s=automotive

What is the hose on the left side that comes out of and back into the carb. I know I don't have this setup like this. Could that be the issue? What is that thing? If I need it can I just put a fuel line hose on that or do I need something else?

I do know there is a bit of an exhaust leak where the manifold comes out to the exhaust. I plan to replace those gaskets where bewteen the manifold and the pipes. Could that leak be causing this much trouble.

I am almost to the point of just getting another carb but thought I would ask you guys.

Last edited by maestro1024; 04-13-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
MustangFTW

600cfm is a bit big for a stock 289. how many mods does the car have?

turn the car on and spray the area between the carb and spacer with carb cleaner spray, if the idle jumps higher then you a vacuum leak there and need to replace the gaskets, if it was big enough it COULD cause the sputtering. .

Does this happen all the time or only when the car is cold?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:57 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Need more details on what it does and when. But yeah, check for a vacuum leak.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

That hose is for display. It's connecting the vacuum inlet and outlet together. You couldn't actually run it that way and expect the choke to work.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM
maestro1024
1st Gear Member

What carb would you guys recommend for a 289? I am told this same exact carb used to run on this 289.

this hose is for looks? Really? I was thinking this hose help to turn the back two valves on. If not how do the back venturis come on?

I think the best description of how it is running is.
I can turn it on and run it for a while while it just sits there.
But I try to go up the road which has a small incline and the car will just cut off. Basically when the car is moving it will cut off.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

What spacer are you running is it the stock spacer with the pvc that runs into it or did you put an aftermarket or no spacer. On the left their is a bigger line thats for you pvc also on the left on the top of the metering block that is where the vac for distributor goes into.
Hers mine

What did you do to it was it running on the car before. I know i had to rejet mine to get her running right.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Also you sure you have your floats adjusted and that your cars tank isnt clogged. Is the dead spot a short cut out and fires right back up or do you have to crank it over for a bit to get it running. Or is it your running low rpms and you floor it and it cuts out then comes back, or dies.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:41 PM
MustangFTW

generally a rough estimate of the CFMs a car would need it 2xHP so a new stock 289 came with 225 HP which means a 500cfm carb would be good, a good choice is the holley 570 as it allows some room for modding.

how steep of an incline is this? maybe theres something wrong with fuel line/pump/filter so that fuel stop flowing at an incline? possible? mine used to cut off when i take sharp turns.

hose is not for looks, they just have it connected to back to the carb so that it looks neat, the hose would usually connect to other tubes around your engine such as the heater tube thats connected to the exhaust manifold.

make sure the air/fuel ratio is correct.
is the holley 600 4bbl or 2?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Sounds like probably a fuel issue. Clogged filter, lines, crap in the carb. Possibly something not set right. Pop the drain plug on the tank and drain a bit of fuel into a bucket(carefully) and see if trash comes out. Replace the filter, test for fuel flow from the pump, then see what it does.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
maestro1024
1st Gear Member

I put a new tank and a new fuel pump on the car. Only thing that is not new is the fuel line from the tank to the engine compartment.

Also, it runs fine for the most part if it just runs in the driveway.

problem is when I get the car moving.

I will take some pics of the carb this weekend. Also, will try and clean out carb again.

Quick Reply: Help with Carb setup