Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

large bearing vs small bearing 9"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Default large bearing vs small bearing 9"

i picked up a 9" rear out of a 69 Mach 1 and im building it up for my stang. I ordered forged alloy axles from currie, however this rear (like most other 9" rears) uses small bearings. The guy from Currie said these are weaker then the large bearing rears and suggests i dont "autocross or take it to the track with slicks". i mean dont get me wrong i dont plan on autocrossing the car, but is he being a little over cautious? id like to rip around turns on the street here and there and not have to worry about my axle sliding out. id also like to run slicks if i bring it to the track.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by built67
i picked up a 9" rear out of a 69 Mach 1 and im building it up for my stang. I ordered forged alloy axles from currie, however this rear (like most other 9" rears) uses small bearings. The guy from Currie said these are weaker then the large bearing rears and suggests i dont "autocross or take it to the track with slicks". i mean dont get me wrong i dont plan on autocrossing the car, but is he being a little over cautious? id like to rip around turns on the street here and there and not have to worry about my axle sliding out. id also like to run slicks if i bring it to the track.

My son bought brakes before he bought his axle, so he ended up getting a small bearing 9" from Currie. He has a way warm 408 and I (we) have hammered the **** out of it without issue. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think you will be more than ok.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:15 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The alxe can't come even with you break one the flange bracket holds it in.The c clip style rear ends it can but a 9 inch and 8 inch don't use a c clip so even a broken axle can still be drove home.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

With a lot of power in drag racing, or running an R compound in a road race or autox setup, the small bearing can be a problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
My son bought brakes before he bought his axle, so he ended up getting a small bearing 9" from Currie. He has a way warm 408 and I (we) have hammered the **** out of it without issue. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think you will be more than ok.
Oh brakes......wait until you go to buy brakes. I just went through this, large bearing/small bearing, new style/old style then the multitude of offsets. Turns out I had a large bearing old style with 2.54 offset, according to Wilwood its not common and they didn't have a brake kit for that combo, at least one with a parking brake. Being an outstanding company they did send me the right spacer for the caliper so I could make the 2.36 offset kit work. The tech I got on the phone was great to deal with, they will definitely continue to get my business.

Waiting to get on the phone with Currie this morning. Needed new seals, wanted them overnighted. Got a message last night that they put my order ON HOLD because they wanted to speak with me about the shipping costs. WTF, if I didn't need them overnight I wouldn't have asked to ship them overnight!!!! Finally had time to work on the car but they're too worried about a $22 shipping charge to actually ship my parts.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info guys. velocity, im sorry to hear about that. they were pretty helpful when i ordered my axle package from them...but they couldnt give me a ball park range of the shipping costs which is kinda annoying. the tech said around 40ish another guys said 60ish. i guess when you pay $460 for custom axles and all of the other components to install them, whats another 60 haha. i can definitely see why ur annoyed tho.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:43 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

For rear disc i would look in to http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html For rear end parts i have been using http://www.quickperformance.com/ when you call they answer your questions easy and never put you on hold.Currie makes nice parts but i rather not deal with them myself easier to get it from a dealer of there's.