Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

will this be the end of my vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default will this be the end of my vibrations?

awful vibrations in rear starting at 75mph and getting worse from there.
I have this since I swapped
- rear axle (full, all new parts)
- wheels
- driveshaft
- T5

Well I moved pinion angles around and I could never get it right and with changing them the vibrations seemed to move up and down a bit with speed. but the working angles are too high

I though DS was out of balance so I rodered a new one measured to size. still the same.

To get pinion angles right i ordered RM adjustable motoro mounts with half inch drop (to bring the tailsshaft up. it's 6 degrees down at the moment and I want 4 max)

Well I couldn't fit them because my steering is 6cylinder and would be in the way (it's VERY close already. only a millimeter gap between linkage and starter)

So after changing steering linkage, dropping (and moving the engine a tad sideways) to get the angles perfect. will my vibrations finally be gone ? :-)

please!!! I'm sick of them :-)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 AM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

Were the u-joints replaced as well. They are supposed to be a zero play fit. Anything else will cause vibrations.

It might also be an issue with the rear gear having an incorrect backlash, however that usually causes a whining before it causes a vibration.

Scott
Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Have you swapped wheels front to rear to eliminate the wheel balancing variable?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

You might also put the rear end up on jack stands and start pulling and prying on the wheels to make sure you don't have a loose bearing etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:15 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I hope you finally got rid of the vibration Man. I would get some new Spicer U joints if you haven't already.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya, new spicers went in a afew month ago (both) when I changed the driveshaft
I had the wheels balanced and when I put on the V50 (removed the cragars) of course balanced again. one rear wheel did not need any weight at all.. was perfect, the other needed 10 grams. so i'm sure it's not wheel balance (same issue with two different wheels)
it shouldn't be any bearing as all bearings are less than 2000 miles (axle, wheels, gearbox)

i am quite sure it's driveshaft angles. but I'll check all bearings while I'm at it
Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I feel for you. Hope you get it straightened out.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well not for another while. if I convert the whole steering I'll need for tie rods. two inner, two outer. well I ordered two ... so I'll have to wait for another few weeks :-( stupid me
Old 04-23-2011, 06:08 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed anyways.

I would definitely upgrade your steering components to the V8 parts. You have manual steering right?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yes, manual steering. i'd prefer the V8 steering for 2 reasons. it's beefier and gives more clearance. it's the last thing on car that is 6cyl leftovers.
Well the day wasn't wasted. we spent another few hours on the 440 Cuda. we have the engine back in again. maybe another 5 hours for tinworks and then we should be able to start it up again. maybe sometime this easter weekend :-)
I can't drive my car at the moment anyway since I'm waiting for a starter from the UK. But that should be here on tuesday

so i'll drive it for maybe another 2 weeks and then I'll go at the steering again :-) can't wait

Quick Reply: will this be the end of my vibrations?