Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

why doesnt someone build a stallion?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:55 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jp1967stang
i would say little red is my fav and someone should build a replica.
talk to http://www.legendarygt.com/ they was building them with a price tag of 150k tho lol.In the 70s it was normal for cars to be like that one and most ran side pipes too.My dads 71 sport roof looked like that when i was a kid,But learning to drive in it jacked up like that handled like crap in the rain.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I think the car is cool, but not with that stance or wheel/tire combo.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 AM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
These young pups. Back in the 1970's, Mustangs with L60-15's on the rear, and a pair of Gabriel Hi-Jackers were common as dirt. You'd find a dozen or more parked at any high school. More common than tuners today.

i personally like the look of this car, obviously its in-practical and sits to high in the rear, one of my daily drivers is an f250 that sits on 38s and i dont think that looks anything like a "monster truck" let alone this car. what i like about it is the cougar tail lights, vinyl down the sides of the roof and how it stands out from the crowd (shelby clone) and i heard they only made 8 of them, now i could be wrong, but thats more rare than most shelbys i've read about, and also from what ive read they produce more power than the shelbys, kind of like fords version of the camaro yenko, that just seems really cool to me, and california and high country specials are cool, but they have been cloned before, i would really like to see this cloned, thats my take on it
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
These young pups. Back in the 1970's, Mustangs with L60-15's on the rear, and a pair of Gabriel Hi-Jackers were common as dirt. You'd find a dozen or more parked at any high school. More common than tuners today.
Sure hope you're not calling me a pup, I started driving in the 70s and these things were butt ugly back then too. In addition to being butt ugly they handled like CRAP, I guess they were everything you could want in a car

Back then if I had the cash this is the car to have

But I was driving one of these and still having a LOT more fun then you would in either of those cars. Nothing like being in HS in the 70s and having a van man
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Or a california special clone for the 67/68 coupes out there.
If I had the funds...

And I agree, the Stallion doesn't really fit my bill. The more I think about it and look at it, the cooler it looks. But honestly, I'd rather have a bone stock '67 or '68.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66 tang
but i really think this would make a badass clone. i guess its basically a 67 fastback with a 390 and 4 speed, but a certain ford dealership added cougar tail lights, stallion badges, and vinyl down the sides of the roof to promote the new mercury cougar, looks pretty cool to me.
A really badass clone would be a lot more subtle than the ponysite car - that thing is just too "Harry High-School", too cartoonish. I'd be more than a little uneasy driving that thing even in good weather, and not because of the power.

I agree that if you're into what was once called "surface excitement", that this would be a direction to take that isn't and might never be all that common. But the wheels and tires do have to look like they might actually belong on that car. A little bigger than what was OE, fine. But keep it faithful to the original stance.
Jacked-up 70's style is . . . so 70's (didn't like it back then, either).

Me - I'd rather build a relatively subtle "one-off", if I thought I had the metalworking skills to pull it off successfully.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-04-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
In addition to being butt ugly they handled like CRAP, I guess they were everything you could want in a car
For me in the mid '80's I wasn't into "handling". I just wanted big tires, burn rubber, and go in a straight line. I held my own a few times.
Hell, I didn't get into this handling stuff until I got my '99 GT a few years ago.
Lynn
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lokota
Ouch!!! I have a bagged truck on 18s and I wanna put some 17s on my mustang
Anything over 15" looks totally out of place on the classic cars IMO, 16"+ wheels weren't and never will be designed to use on them and they just look plain silly.

I laugh most every time I see them because they remind me of the toy cars my boy likes to play with with the buttons on top to play music.

But then again, I think anything over 17" wheels look silly on '99-'04 Mustangs also...
It is all personal preference.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 05-04-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
For me in the mid '80's I wasn't into "handling". I just wanted big tires, burn rubber, and go in a straight line. I held my own a few times.
Hell, I didn't get into this handling stuff until I got my '99 GT a few years ago.
Lynn
The van saw plenty of big ones, they handled well with 2 hands and as much as I tried never burned the rubber
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Burning rubber is all the fun.

When I was 18 I had a '71 Mustang coupe with a built cammed 460 block, ported 429 police interceptor heads, full headers, built C6 with a stall speed converter, and 4:30 gears. That car was jacked in the back with wheels and tires that stuck out about 1" past the wheel wells.

It ran pretty good,but I could never have people in the back because the tires would smack and crush the quarters going over bumps. I could light the tires up on that thing and get all side ways going 35 MPH in drive. Good times....

The only problem that car had was that I had 14" X 10" Craigers on the back, if I had 15" x 10" Craigers I think I would have been a little quicker.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 05-04-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why doesnt someone build a stallion?