Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Maier frame stiffners

Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

I barrowed what the New edge Verts have.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
Do what you want, but if you have ever changed out floor supports you will see how thin they are, connecting to them when they are NEW and the full floor pan is NEW may help, but am just pointing out that if you are dealing with old car blues there is a better way, the boxes are around $70 each.

If you are talking about these then It would certainly help.

The Heidts may be an option.

But I would still add boxes to the front, that outer rocker can assist and is wider etc..
Those look like Maier's. I also ordered the X member. My floor pan is new, but the Maier's don't weld to the floor. They weld to frame rails that are already there.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I recently installed the Heidt's pieces on my 65 and I can tell you they are quality pieces. I can't say anything about their effectiveness, but they went on with ease. The rear mounting point actually attaches to the leaf spring bolt and they have provisions for under rider bars. Plus the built in driveshaft safety loop also sweetens the deal.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deviousfred
I recently installed the Heidt's pieces on my 65 and I can tell you they are quality pieces. I can't say anything about their effectiveness, but they went on with ease. The rear mounting point actually attaches to the leaf spring bolt and they have provisions for under rider bars. Plus the built in driveshaft safety loop also sweetens the deal.

Good work. Very professional looking. How much welding did you have to do? looks like you did a lot of reinforcement. It looks like that would work very nicely. Thanks for all the pics. Like the old saying, " A picture is worth 1,000 words". I'll check on them.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I will be welding them into the floor supports in the front and to the frame rails in the rear. I will not weld in the center piece so it remains removable.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Connectors is one of the best mods for these cars. Quiets the squeaks and creeks, handles better, and just drives smoother. Putting in a cage was the only thing that made my car nicer to drive than the connectors. Maier are the nicest I think. Tubular which resists torsion better than square tubing, and easier to put in that many other companies.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Connectors is one of the best mods for these cars. Quiets the squeaks and creeks, handles better, and just drives smoother. Putting in a cage was the only thing that made my car nicer to drive than the connectors. Maier are the nicest I think. Tubular which resists torsion better than square tubing, and easier to put in that many other companies.
I was thinking about cancelling my order and switching to Heidts. They just looked stronger but I could never find anything like was posted. Never thought about tubular vs. square but I have been out of this so long that most on the forum were not in the world yet. That's why I like research then get several opinions before I act. I built my car not doing this now I am redoing it so I am paying double. I think I will just stick with my Maier. Did you purchase the X member from them? Total kit was $600. What kind of cage did you install? Do you have a 4 point harness or just shoulder strap? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I would do the full Heidts like shown above if it were my car, that uses multiple points and clearly looks like it does a better job at spreading out the load and twist than just the SFC's alone.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

I won't ever send a dime to heidts again personally. The middle section does not have impact the subframe connectors do. You can live without it, but certainly doesn't hurt. But it kills exh clearance. I did a cage, not a roll bar. A 4 pnt it pretty much worthless as far as rigidity goes. I would do an 8pnt, or nothing honestly. 6 is OK, but the last two in the center, the kickers are what really ties the car together.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:03 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

There is a great thread about this stuff on one of the other sites, someone actually did testing flexing the car. He bolted the car down, jacked a corner and measured the flex. One of the best mods you can make is to weld a sheet in behind the rear seat replacing cardboard one. Kinda like this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maier frame stiffners