Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Modified Mustang Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 02:43 AM
corningjeff

Default Modified Mustang Value

Hi, I am thinking about buying a '66 Mustang convertible. It has an excellent original body and floor & rails, however there are a couple of "purist" issues. The 289 engine is not original, nor is the exterior and interior colors. Also, the car was originally a hardtop but was professionally converted using parts from a '66 convertible (windshield and top frame). This car is beautiful and the conversion looks perfect, however since it is not original in these areas, how much lower (%) should this car sell for, compared to a car with original equipment and style? Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-30-2005, 05:44 AM
Hiker
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Modified Mustang Value

WOW...good questions... If you want one that's original and with original accesories i'd pass on it. Having a different engine is common.. Different interior is no biggie also.. Look how many Stangs you see switched out. But the conversion from a coupe to convertable.. I would really question... Is the frame beefed up like convertables where? That's a tough one.. If you really want a convertable find an original.. Also...think about resale down the road. How many people are willing buy a convertable conversion... personally I would pass...even if it was a deal.

As for a percentage deduction....that's a tough call, but there would definatly be one.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:46 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

Here’s the funny part; the guy probably paid more to convert it to a convertible that a new one would cost. It the sub-frame was not beefed up, it would fold in half with both doors open.

It you are buying it as an investment, don’t. If you are buying it to restore to concure, it won’t.

The bottom line is, if it looks good and the price it right, and you want a convertible you can have fun in, buy it.

As to value, my best un-educated guess would be 15-25% less than a true mustang convertible. Unless some one famous like Ed Roth or Boyd Coddington did the conversion, than double it!

Cheers.....[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

A decent original convertible would cost you over 20K. It would depend on what was done to convert this one. If all they did was to whack off the top of the coupe and add the front windshield, then I would definitely pass. But, if it were done right, it might be a fun car to have. But, definitely not in the same money class as an original though.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65_2plus2

As to value, my best un-educated guess would be 15-25% less than a true mustang convertible. Unless some one famous like Ed Roth or Boyd Coddington did the conversion, than double it!

Cheers.....[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I think it would be a 25% deduction if Boyd Coddington even walked past it!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 PM
corningjeff

Thanks for the input. It is approximately 30% below a comparable Mustang.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:56 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lClutchl

I think it would be a 25% deduction if Boyd Coddington even walked past it!

couldn't have said it better myself! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]