Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

WHAT TYPE / SIZE CAM 302 ROLLER

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
A alphabet cam will still cost you at least $100-150 and they're old crappy cams. A custom grind from Ed will cost you $325 for a hyd roller, and it will be specific to YOUR car, ideal for what you want, and you get free tech help from Ed whenever he can answer emails.
I've had a great experience with Ed. Another thing to remember depending of the profile of the cam you put in you may need to change the springs. That will have to be figured in to the budget.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

^^^^^Mr. Velocity put me in touch with Ed. He was very helpful even though I never got around to buying anything.
Still very satisfied!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:13 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDemon
i struggled to get any technical response to my questions from ed and i have no idea of how mild or aggressive the cam will be.

i'm always confused how everyone seems to get such great service. perhaps it's because i filled out the full tech sheet?
Sometimes he gets swamped and takes a while to get back to you. I'm trying to order some stuff from him right now and he is only getting back to me like once a week, where it's normally every day. But the thing too, is custom grinders aren't always willing to divulge info about cam profiles, since it's proprietary. Aggressive or mild are relative terms...you get a custom cam ground for what you want it to do with your combination...and it does it, whatever the profile may be, it's for what you need it to do. In the end who cares what the specs are, as long as it gives you the most power where you want/need it. That's often why custom cams have oddball specs compared to OTS stuff.....my cam for example has a considerable amount more of duration on the exhaust side, but more lift on the intake side. It is what it is.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I've had a great experience with Ed. Another thing to remember depending of the profile of the cam you put in you may need to change the springs. That will have to be figured in to the budget.
That's true. You can get a cam ground to work with the springs you have, but an upgrade to something more technologically advanced is a huge step forward. I'm running LS1 Beehives from PAC with locators that Ed had made up to slip the LS1 springs into a SBF head.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Sometimes he gets swamped and takes a while to get back to you. I'm trying to order some stuff from him right now and he is only getting back to me like once a week, where it's normally every day. But the thing too, is custom grinders aren't always willing to divulge info about cam profiles, since it's proprietary. Aggressive or mild are relative terms...you get a custom cam ground for what you want it to do with your combination...and it does it, whatever the profile may be, it's for what you need it to do. In the end who cares what the specs are, as long as it gives you the most power where you want/need it. That's often why custom cams have oddball specs compared to OTS stuff.....my cam for example has a considerable amount more of duration on the exhaust side, but more lift on the intake side. It is what it is.
he took about 1-2 weeks to get back with me too. he just never answered any technical questions i asked. he instead told me nice things about his family and why the delays.

i found my lobes with the same specs in the comp catalog. are those really the same lobes, i have no idea. you can find OTS cams with split patterns in the comp catalog.

why did the cam card for my "custom" cam designed for MY car say an RPM range for a 347-363 when i have a 418? i have my guesses.

one thing you definitely get with a custom cam is the ability to tell everyone you have a custom cam and the belief that it's going to make more power than anything else available.

i'm in no way saying he's not a good designer. there are just people out there that could be taking advantage of people on the forums and internet with not a lot of experience.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:07 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

he took about 1-2 weeks to get back with me too. he just never answered any technical questions i asked. he instead told me nice things about his family and why the delays.

i found my lobes with the same specs in the comp catalog. are those really the same lobes, i have no idea. you can find OTS cams with split patterns in the comp catalog.

why did the cam card for my "custom" cam designed for MY car say an RPM range for a 347-363 when i have a 418? i have my guesses.

one thing you definitely get with a custom cam is the ability to tell everyone you have a custom cam and the belief that it's going to make more power than anything else available.

i'm in no way saying he's not a good designer. there are just people out there that could be taking advantage of people on the forums and internet with not a lot of experience.
If you don't think his cams work, look at the results. He has guys in street weight 302 powered n/a Mustangs that run 11's shifting at barely past 6k rpm. Pretty much everyone with one of Ed's cams runs a lot faster than people would think possible.

The rpm range listed is based on the type of cam...like a stroker/streetsweeper will list the rpm range "nominally" for that class of engine(roughly) but will vary from cam to cam. It's just a ballpark figure for the typical rpm range of cams in that category that people get. Whether the lobes are comp lobes or not, who knows...some may be, some may be proprietary....but even then, he's selecting specific lobes and lsa/valve events based on what the engine will need.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

If you don't think his cams work, look at the results. He has guys in street weight 302 powered n/a Mustangs that run 11's shifting at barely past 6k rpm. Pretty much everyone with one of Ed's cams runs a lot faster than people would think possible.
where did i say his cams don't work?

was it this statement?
i'm in no way saying he's not a good designer.